LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I can’t believe I’m writing this, but we lost our handsome little green budgie Val on Sunday night. He had a terrible accident on Saturday morning after I let him, Lovejoy and Peachie out of their cages. Something must've spooked all three of them and they flew laps of the living room in a mad panic just a few moments after I stepped out into the kitchen. I rushed back in and saw Lovejoy and Peachie still flying laps but could not see Val, I think he may have crashed under the dining table onto our hard wooden floor. A few moments later he shot out and flew more laps, finally crashing in a more accessible spot where I could quickly scoop him up but he must've hurt himself when he hit the floor. He seemed ok for the rest of Saturday, he was eating from both his and the ’tiels cages and flying well, until Lovejoy decided he wanted to play with him that afternoon and chased him around for a minute or two before I managed to catch Lovejoy and get him to leave Val alone. But that really seemed to knock whatever remaining energy Val had right out of him. He ate some more before I put him to bed but he looked awful on Sunday morning. I gave him his favourite foods hoping he would eat and he did a little, but I hadn't seen him drink so I syringed a little water into him, and I remembered we had some metacam so he got some of that too for pain relief. I made an appointment online with his vet for first thing Monday but he didn't make it long enough to be seen. I decided to sleep on the couch Sunday night, not that there was much sleeping to be had, and I heard him drop to the bottom of his cage at around 2:30AM. I was only about a metre away and was able to pick him up almost immediately, he convulsed a few times in my hands and within moments he was gone.

His full name was Valentino because we brought him home on Valentine’s Day, although his name could also have been “Valiant” because he was always so brave. And feisty and plucky and full of life and attitude just like all budgies are. And full of the most beautiful songs which I would give anything to hear him sing again. I am heartbroken to have lost you, my precious boy, and I know Lovejoy is heartbroken to have lost his bestie too. Fly high and free at the Bridge my Val, where your heavenly songs will never be silenced, where your voice and your courageous spirit will live forever. I’m so grateful that I got to know you and love you, and both your dadda and I will always miss you. 💔🙏🌈

handsomeval.jpeg

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but we lost our handsome little green budgie Val on Sunday night. He had a terrible accident on Saturday morning after I let him, Lovejoy and Peachie out of their cages. Something must've spooked all three of them and they flew laps of the living room in a mad panic just a few moments after I stepped out into the kitchen. I rushed back in and saw Lovejoy and Peachie still flying laps but could not see Val, I think he may have crashed under the dining table onto our hard wooden floor. A few moments later he shot out and flew more laps, finally crashing in a more accessible spot where I could quickly scoop him up but he must've hurt himself when he hit the floor. He seemed ok for the rest of Saturday, he was eating from both his and the ’tiels cages and flying well, until Lovejoy decided he wanted to play with him that afternoon and chased him around for a minute or two before I managed to catch Lovejoy and get him to leave Val alone. But that really seemed to knock whatever remaining energy Val had right out of him. He ate some more before I put him to bed but he looked awful on Sunday morning. I gave him his favourite foods hoping he would eat and he did a little, but I hadn't seen him drink so I syringed a little water into him, and I remembered we had some metacam so he got some of that too for pain relief. I made an appointment online with his vet for first thing Monday but he didn't make it long enough to be seen. I decided to sleep on the couch Sunday night, not that there was much sleeping to be had, and I heard him drop to the bottom of his cage at around 2:30AM. I was only about a metre away and was able to pick him up almost immediately, he convulsed a few times in my hands and within moments he was gone.

His full name was Valentino because we brought him home on Valentine’s Day, although his name could also have been “Valiant” because he was always so brave. And feisty and plucky and full of life and attitude just like all budgies are. And full of the most beautiful songs which I would give anything to hear him sing again. I am heartbroken to have lost you, my precious boy, and I know Lovejoy is heartbroken to have lost his bestie too. Fly high and free at the Bridge my Val, where your heavenly songs will never be silenced, where your voice and your courageous spirit will live forever. I’m so grateful that I got to know you and love you, and both your dadda and I will always miss you. 💔🙏🌈

View attachment 59766
I’m so sorry for your loss. Val seemed like such a sweet birdie. Take care of yourself and remember that you gave him the best life he could possibly have lived. RIP Val. 🫂💔

I am so very sorry for your loss of Val. Budgies are such tiny birds, but they somehow take up so much space in our lives and hearts. Val passed away knowing he was a very loved little bird. Praying you find peace and comfort as you miss your little buddy 💔❤️‍🩹

I’m so sorry to hear about Val. My thoughts are with you & Val’s loved ones. My very first parrot was indeed one that looked exactly like Val. His name was x-lax. Budgies are so unique as they pack a big, huge, giant (any word that describes a significant amount) personality in a little body. They are magnificent creatures ❤️❤️❤️

My thoughts are with Val’s flock

Last edited:
My heartfelt condolences. am so sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace Valentino.

If you find out what happened and why this tragedy struck , please do share if possible & when convenient.

On rare occasion my babies also freak out and fly like crazy and bump into stuff. I minimise the best I can . But ….

My heartfelt condolences. am so sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace Valentino.

If you find out what happened and why this tragedy struck , please do share if possible & when convenient.

On rare occasion my babies also freak out and fly like crazy and bump into stuff. I minimise the best I can . But ….
Having not witnessed the entire event I can't say for sure exactly what happened, but I know he crashed onto our hard floor at least twice. Based on the way Lovejoy and Peachie were flying and bumping into the walls, Val may also have hit a wall meaning he'd have crashed once from a fair height. I can only speculate about this, I think he'd have been trying to keep up with the other two but he was not as good a flyer as them.

We laid him to rest yesterday in a big plant pot so that we can take him with us if and when we move out of this house - I know he will always be with me but the thought of leaving anything of him behind is unbearable to me. Thank you everyone for your kind words and condolences, it really does help to be part of this loving community at awful times like these, so full of people who understand how much this kind of loss hurts. 🙏🙏🙏

Just saw that you are in QLD. 1st time I hand raised a budgie from new born was as a student while studying in Gold Coast. 1993. I Went down the memory lane all thanks to you.

I hope you get the chance to come back and revisit the Gold Coast some day, I'm sure you'll find it's changed a LOT since 1993! Although the world famous Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary with it's flocks of wild lorikeets is still there, that's still the biggest highlight of the Coast in my opinion :)

I hope you get the chance to come back and revisit the Gold Coast some day, I'm sure you'll find it's changed a LOT since 1993! Although the world famous Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary with it's flocks of wild lorikeets is still there, that's still the biggest highlight of the Coast in my opinion :)
That place wasn’t far from my Zuni. My first contact with a Koala for in Currumbin I think.

Oh, Val, little BIG Val. You were the budgie I always wanted. Honest.

Marty, my pal, I'm so sorry. You know you and Val are united in Eternity, in love, in space and cyberspace. We'll remember him forever here on the PF.

xoxoxo

Oh, Val, little BIG Val. You were the budgie I always wanted. Honest.

Marty, my pal, I'm so sorry. You know you and Val are united in Eternity, in love, in space and cyberspace. We'll remember him forever here on the PF.

xoxoxo
Thank you Aunty G, I'm honoured that I was able to share Val with you 💕

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back