getting my macaw home and settled

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
hi

this is my first post, im new to this forum as i stumbled across it looking for information whilst doing my research and everybody seemed dead friendly and helpful

im looking at getting a macaw in the not so distant future, just arranging my room and making some alterations to accomadate the bird before he comes, space his big cage, change the carpet to viynl and soundproof etc. ive been doing research for months and months and have read all over the internet, seen videos on youtube, purchased books etc. what i would like to know is some personal advice on what to do when bringing my macaw home. for instance should i leave him in his cage for a few days to get settled, should i begin handling and socializing straight away? is there any tips or things i could do to help this bird trust me? i read somewhere that continuous blinking whilst looking at and approaching the bird is a way of showing him your not a threat? any information like that would be very much appreciated. i just want to make my bird happy and give him, and me, the best start we can have

thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

It will all depend on the macaw on how quickly you can/should start handling him/her once you bring him home. Are you looking into a rescue, rehome, or a just weaned baby? Will you have the opportunity to get to know the bird first?

I met my Niko when he was a wee baby, and visited regularly, so he knew me quite well by the time I was able to bring him home. Of course he still had to adjust to his new home, but the transition was rather smooth and easy. :)

Ripley was 18 months when I met him at a bird store, and even though I had seen him there on previous occasions, I never handled him much. But I was able to handle him as well from day one, even though he was a bit shy and timid at first. I initially kept my sessions with him short and gave LOTS of praise. :)

So it will all depend on the bird you'll be bringing home. If it's an older bird, I would suggest just leaving him in his new cage for at least a few days. Spend lots of time by his cage, talk softly to him, and offer treats and watch how he reacts.

Yes, the blinking game is a GREAT way to earn trust. I haven't heard that mentioned in AGES. I know it works quite well with Eclectus parrots, but yes, Macaws blink back, too. :)

Welcome! I'm a new bird owner myself and just brought home my baby blue and gold Tinker two weeks ago. I don't have any advice But you'll be getting the best advice on this forum from all the experienced owners:).

thank you for your info wendy :) i have looked into adoption but in england it isnt as vastly available and i fear that, and i know that more often than not its owner error not the bird, ill get a problem bird. Something which im not quite prepared for. so i think im going to get a weaned baby and build the trust from day one :)

nice to see somebody in the same boat dulphinz, if you could keep me posted on things you discover along the way, and how macaw life is that would be really appreciated :) hoping to get my B&G about November time

We too have a B&G re-home, about a month now. He's doing great but still not letting us handle him. He is however showing a lot of trust and is very interactive with us so we're going to give him lots of time, there's no hurry. With a hand-fed baby you will get a bird that is accustomed to human touch and it actually might distress him or her to NOT be touched. Common sense applies here - they're pretty good at communicating what they want with body language. It's easy to second guess yourself but the odds are your instincts are right - go with it. If you're wrong, your bird will let you know!

If you can find someone locally to show you in person it would be easier. I start handling both of my macaws from day one. I use a perch for them to step up to first before offering my arm unless they're rather easy going like Willie is as he came to me from day one. Sometimes they do need time to settle in depending on their situation.

We got Rosie, our GW Macaw as a baby. Once we decided to purchase her, I visited her every day until I brought her home (I finished her hand feeding here).

I read that imitating their movements helps, so I did that. If she stretched, I did, etc. Fed her lots of treats and spent lots of time talking to her and others around her. If she pooped, I would say oh you pooped! which really helped with potty training. Also I would hold her and sway until she would fall asleep before putting her back in her cage (crazy, I know. I just felt so badly putting her in her cage). Only other thing I can think of is when they do something you like, make a big deal, very animated. Like you would for a baby, they love that.

Although as I'm reading this I am seeing why Rosie is so insanely attached to me. ;). Didn't work that way with my kids, who knew!

You are receiving lots of great advice here. I have raised a couple of birds from when they are young. I am glad I followed advice from others on a few key things.
Handle them (as you've already been advised a couple of times already)
Introduce them to plenty of new people at a young age, and they will have less fear of new people as adults.
Start training with them early (as soon as they can be fed treats from your hand).
Variety in the diet is key to good health, just like in people.

Lastly, raising a bird is just like raising a kid. You're going to make mistakes. Don't sweat every singe decision.

Joe

thank you all so much for all the great advice :) its good to have people take the time to help in your queries and it is very much appreciated. i really look forward to bringing my B&G home in the upcoming months and will be sure to post some photos :)

Welcome to our awesome forum
You have received great advise from members above
Looking forward to ALL the pic's you are going to share

PS.... The waiting is the worst......

But then again, gives to time to get everything ready as you have mentioned.
Ask many questions, very knowledgeable Macaw guardian always willing to assist, as you have already experienced.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back