Getting Atlas used to water?

ydeerod

Oct 22, 2012
Northern New Hampshire
Parrots
B&G Macaw - Atlas
So I realized that before I get him a shower perch and stick him under the water, I should probably get him used to water period. So I got a little spray bottle at Walmart and decided to start there first. But....I don't know how to go about starting. I tried spraying (fine misting, rather) his tail first and giving him a treat after but he just freaks out. So then I tried spraying my hand and then running my hand over him. He didn't seem to mind it for a while, so then I thought since it was going so well, I'd try spraying his tail again. He squealed and ran away. :/ So today I brought in his t-stand in the bathroom and let him sit in there with me while I took a shower. He was fine, but was kinda distracted by his reflection in the mirror. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really want to bathe him because his feathers are looking pretty ratty and maybe it'll help a bit? Help!

Do you have a sliding glass shower door or curtain rail? I put Rosie up there. He should feel safe because he's up high and eventually get used to the sound of the water. Also the humidity from the shower will be fantastic for him.

I would spray just above him with the bottle so the fine mist floats down to him like rain would. It might take a couple of times for him to get interested and realise it is fun and not something going to hurt him.
My Ecky can't decide whether he likes the shower or not, I put him on a shower perch when I shower. The water wasn't falling on him but i was able to splash him as I showered. By the end of my shower he was as close to the water as he could get and leaning right into it.

I have a standing stall shower and my vet recommended that I bring Rosie in the bathroom with me and close the door. Then leave the shower door open when I showered. He thought she might just hang out by the shower door for the first few times and come in as she got more comfortable. To my surprise, she was in and soaked, dancing and singing the first time I tried this. I think having the option to come in or not and not being forced made a big difference. :)

Thanks guys. I'm just gonna mist him like Aims suggested for a while and see if he gets used to it. Hopefully he'll learn to like it.

Most Reactions

Back