Geroge is coming on nicely

Grabers

Mar 21, 2014
Parrots
GCC - George
Thanks for all the advice on the previous thread. George has been with us around 3 weeks now and what an improvement.
He will do anything for a sun flower seed, so this is our training treat of choice. He will now stretch from his perch and put one foot on our hand to ensure he is balanced enough to reach and take the seed. Not quite a total step onto our hands but a huge step forward.
He will also let us stroke his chest and he doesn't even nip!!
He has been out the cage and also allows us to stroke him out the cage, he wont let us pick him up but I am sure that will come.

Only issue we have is he simply wont eat pellets, but I am hoping to change that as time goes on!

I have seen a great thread by MonicaMc on getting conures to eat pellets, try searching for keywords to find it! I found that mixing pellets with small amounts of soft moist food like fruits and cooked veggies got sootie interested because the pellets absorbed the flavor of the food she liked...might be a start?

Sounds like you are doing good, Grabers!

Switching to a pelleted diet should be a gradual change, not cold turkey. You can do it cold turkey, but it's better on their systems if you don't.

Still being new to your home, I'd say to not worry too much about the diet just yet. :) Yes, you'll want to make the switch, but don't fret it for now. Just continue working on what you are doing now and earning his trust! And teaching him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back