GCC NEVER stops nibbling?

Sand

Jun 20, 2013
unless he is sleeping my new GCC NEVER EVER EVER stops nibbling, nibbles on you, nibbles on cloths, string, cage wire, his fabric bed, in fact he nibbles on his fabric bed in such a way that it looks like a baby suckling a bottle or blankie, he nibbles his fabric bed til he falls asleep with it in his mouth. i try to keep him on me all day but it's weird that he never stops nibbling. is he "not right" in the head or what? he doesnt play, that is all he does is nibble. i am serious
has boat loads of toys too etc

How old is he?

7.5 months old. they gave me a paper with a hatch date, got him from PetSmart, who knows if it's right. it say hatch 5-4-13 got him 5 days ago

also i want to get the Hagen Vision cage with the built in acrylic seed collector cuz DH is sick of ugly pet stuff & this one is a nice looking cage. the inside of the cage is
17 inches deep x 31 inches long x 22 inches high. is that too small??? 17 inches deep seems awfully small

That cage size sounds fine as long as he gets a lot of time out of it as well.

What's wrong with nibbling? It's what they do pretty much all day in the wild.

just asking is all. never had anything except a Budgie before

I found that there is no cage design that can keep more than 70% of the debris produced by birds. My Lily will just hold on to the cage bar and flap her wings non-stop for a good 3 minutes and everything will get blown outside of her cage. I got her a pretty tall cage, 56" tall internally with a 9" tall debris catcher, but I still have to clean up a lot of debris everyday. I figured the taller the cage, the farther she will from the bottom to wing all of the debris out. I figured bird like to stay up high in the cage. And when she chews on the pellets, the crums shoot as far as 3 feet away. So the taller her food bowl is positioned, the farther the crums travel.

Last edited:
My Shyra is about 6.5 moths old and I've noticed that she likes to nibble or chew a lot too. It's just how they familiarize themselves with things.
Can also be comforting thing for them too though. When I rehomed Shyra's brother and sister, Shyra would sit and nibble on some of her toys or her cozy tent that she sleeps in all the time. Now that she has adjusted she doesn't do it as often.
Your baby should eventually stop too ;)

my poor baby was in a store, and alone in her cage. she's probably got some adjusting to do.

Most Reactions

Back