Food!

Tahliah

Mar 31, 2014
So our new Jenday conure that we have had for 3 days now has stopped screaming almost completely after only having him for such a short amount of time (and the reason his owner gave him up) he is becoming more and more trusting of us (coming out if his cage and stepping up) which is fantastic!! But my next concern is his diet!

His previous owners gave us a tub of food that they have him on and it consists of millet seeds, lots of different nuts, and the odd dried fruit (is this even a healthy mix?) there is no pellets! He is 10 years old and I know we are atleast his third owner within 2 months, so I am afraid that if I change up his diet to much he might get stressed out? I would like to get him on a pellet diet as I see most people have theirs on. Would we switch it right over or do it gradually?

Any help would be great

Thank you

just bumping this thread hoping somebody can give you some helpful info. im a new birdie owner myself so my knowledge is limited.

sounds like your conure has found a nice new home to live in with caring owners. youre off to a good start. :)

You can start by giving him smaller portion of his regular seed diet and some pellets. If he ran out of his regular, he will try the pellets. He will try the pellets when he is hungry. Mine doesn't eat cheap pellets that they usually mixed with seeds. She eats only Zupreem Natural and TOPS pellets. She prefers Zupreem Natural more because it has sugar. But when she finished the Zupreem, she has no choice but to eat TOPS.

Last edited:
Pick a good pellet to try out... TOPs, Roudybush, Goldenfeast, Caitec to name my first thoughts. Pick one and mix it in with his current foods. Once you find a pellet he will eat, you'll want to get him over to a healthier mix along with the pellets. I am a huge fan of Goldenfeast mixes, but we also feed Higgins and my daughter feeds mybirdstore.com's unsulphurated mix along with pellets.

Don't stop feeding his current food cold turkey, you want to mix that half / half with a new healthier diet and then slowly increase the split til you are just feeding all the new stuff.

Good luck!!! Finding the pellet is the hard part sometimes, unless you're lucky and your guy will eat anything you put in front of him :) Another great thing to help with transferring over are nutriberries. You can feed them as treats too, but they are a great tool sometimes with bridging the gap from yucky food to healthy pellet and mix!!

Most Reactions

Back