Flare & Safari

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Not in a million years did I expect this! Flare and Safari are becoming very fast friends.
I am literally stunned by this. In the past Safari has shown some interest in my other conures but nothing like this.

Safari will literally sit on top of Flares cage until he comes out, and when we bring Flare out, Safari will fly to him, then they beak, and prune each other.

BUT, I am concerned.... Safari can do some major damage to Flare, Safari is 3x's the size and her beak is much stronger and larger, and he is much more powerful. I do not take my eyes off them when they are really close to each other.

twice it has turned into a heated tiff between them, and Flare has bitten Safari, to me that is too funny, this little tiny creature, is clocking Safari but good!!

Then Flare comes running up my shoulder for protection, ha ha.

Flare is one funny little bird:D

I get really scared sometimes with Rio and Kiwi. Rio never approached Kiwi, but Kiwi (dummy) will pick fights with Rio. To make it even more difficult, Kiwi is fully flighted. Yesterday, Rio was minding her own business playing on her bungee when Kiwi flew off of my daughter on to the same bungee and headed towards Rio. We tried to separate (I was standing right there) but it was too late. It happened so fast. Rio nailed Kiwi bruising her beak. The good thing was that Kiwi immediate flew off the bungee. Kiwi is okay, she is just so fearless. I'm rethinking her being fully flighted, for her own safety.

Last edited:
parrotlets just don't realize they are super small compared to the rest of the birds.
but their attitude is HUGE!, LOL.

I'm glad Kiwi is ok.
I find Safari is very good now, and is fairly patient and calm, which is amazing, but none the less can do some damage, I guess it's part of owning bigger birds

I think supervision is key and not leaving them alone. I would be nervous too of the larger bird doing major damage!

Good luck. I know you will keep a good eye on them. ;)

I think supervision is key and not leaving them alone. I would be nervous too of the larger bird doing major damage!

Definitely! and I was standing right there when it happened. It just happened so fast. I love that Kiwi is fully flighted, but man she is causing me to rethink it just for her safety. Maybe she learned her lesson. I hope so!

Crimson, our GCC is very aggressive toward our Sun. I have to constantly watch them because Trixie will fly to Sunny to pick a fight and, of course, a sun conure's beak can inflict much damage.
Now, after being bullied by Trixie, Sunny has come to despise her and will walk over and pull her tail feathers.

I wonder if some green cheeks simply have a Napolean complex, lol. :rolleyes:

How old is safari? And I don't remember is Safari a male or female?

Safari is a 1.5 years old, I got her last year in December when she was 7 months of age.
I believe Safari is a female. when I found this site I checked and she has the exact same colouring as a female
Visual Sexing of Senegal Parrots

Oh god!, I would never leave them alone, at least not until Flare is older and can fly. right now his wings are clipped, and wouldn't have a prayer getting away from Safari, who is fully flighted.....but I know what u meant;)

Crimson, our GCC is very aggressive toward our Sun. I have to constantly watch them because Trixie will fly to Sunny to pick a fight and, of course, a sun conure's beak can inflict much damage.
Now, after being bullied by Trixie, Sunny has come to despise her and will walk over and pull her tail feathers.

I wonder if some green cheeks simply have a Napolean complex, lol. :rolleyes:

then I must be the luckiest person on the planet, literally. All of my birds get along, and that is with cockatiels, lovebirds, conures,and a Senegal.
None of them have ever had a full blown fight, just a beaking here and there for territorial issues, or over food, but that is all.
Halo(my lovebird) and Num Num are best buds, they are always together, because they were raised together.
all my cockatiels get along, my lovebirds NEVER bother them, and Safari now lets other birds in her cage, even when she is in there:eek: with absolutely no issues, she has come so far!!....but I still don't put it past her either.
Safari has fallen head over heals for Flare, my new baby conure(well 5 months) she just loves pruning him and trying to regurgitate food to feed him.
I know my birds, but I also know what to watch for.
I trust my birds completely.

How old is safari? And I don't remember is Safari a male or female?

Safari is a 1.5 years old, I got her last year in December when she was 7 months of age.
I believe Safari is a female. when I found this site I checked and she has the exact same colouring as a female
Visual Sexing of Senegal Parrots

Rio is 7 months right now. I got her when she was 4 months. I too believe she is a she. So your Safari has some green in her under tail coverlets? Where as the males are completely yellow. Rio has a lot of green, she is still molting, so we will see. But she is petite compared to some other Senegal's I have seen, and males are more robust. Your Safari look a lot like my Rio. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back