Finally eating some veggies! :)

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
A sun conure, budgie. Miss my cockatiel Sam. See you someday I hope Sam! And my little girl Sky a budgie that passed away in 2007 Thunder my budgie passed away too last September. Miss you little budd
Sunny my sun conure that is! I have been trying to get him to not just want fruits that are sweet but some veggies too. Now I know he likes corn but that's a treat. He now likes red sweet peppers too! I tried giving him fresh spinach but he is not sure about that yet! I have had no luck yet with broccoli, sweet potatoes, or carrots. lol Well, that's one down and more to go!

I have never seen a parrot refuse fresh sweet peppers and fresh/dry chili peppers. Parrots naturally love these vegitables. Any other type of green vegitable might be tough to train them to eat. Mine chucks down fresh and dry chili peppers like candy; particularly the seeds, umm yum!

Mine loves boiled sweet potato and rice, too.

Congratulations! It is so hard to get them to take that first bite, but i have no doubt that he will soon be wanting to try everything:)

Getting the first veggie eaten is the biggest task! :) Try chopping up the pepper and adding to the next veggie you want to introduce, small bits mixed together so its not easy to pick apart. Great job with the first one, and great attitude, one down, more to go :)

I know this sounds crazy and not exactly "good parronting" so to speak but Gilbert ate cavatelli with broccoli as his first taste of broccoli. All the pesto sauce and yummy pasta had his attention so he related that green stuff as being 'yummy'. He still prefers beans as a favorite and goes back and forth with loving carrots.
Gilbert will often eat his veggies as a last resort. LOL

I know this sounds crazy and not exactly "good parronting" so to speak but Gilbert ate cavatelli with broccoli as his first taste of broccoli. All the pesto sauce and yummy pasta had his attention so he related that green stuff as being 'yummy'. He still prefers beans as a favorite and goes back and forth with loving carrots.
Gilbert will often eat his veggies as a last resort. LOL

Why is not good parronting?? If it got him to try something and you're not giving it everyday! I admit we let our guys have bites of goldfish crackers and my gluten free pretzels. Salt is not good for them, but its not like there is a pile in their food bowl :) We give a chunk of pizza crust... mac and cheese.... only thing I hold back on is something I put onions in. But heck last night I made stir fry and didn't think to save some of the string beans and bamboo shoots for the birds (put onions in the stirfry), so I'm at the sink rinsing off a few for Ivory!

Treats and bites here and there of foods without deadly ingredients (onions, avocado, chocolate, etc) won't kill your bird and it makes them feel like they are eating with you, so I say in that thought, its excellent parronting!! :)

What about mashing up the sweet potato with some apples?

What can be helpful if you use a food processor and chop and mix everything up. It really does help them to eat a mixture of goodness. Another poster just tried it and it's working for them too. I bought the food processor just for my birds years ago. :)

Hmmm, I never considered a food processor for his veggies and fruits. I'll definitely give it a try!

Great to hear! I noticed with mine, sometimes they're not in the mood for a certain thing. They ALWAYS love raw sweet potato, but other things, it depends on the day. Raven loves red bell pepper, but lately he's just not in the mood for it and leaves it. Just like us, if someone served us our meals everyday and we didn't have a choice... "Aw man, THIS again?! I don't want it!!" That reminds me when my dad was in the hospital, and you never know what the 'awful' meal will be until you lift off the cover.

Parrots definitely have moods just like people. I notice my conure picks out only certain things to eat one day and the next day completely goes only for the things she left out the day before. Once every blue moon she picks out only millets to eat while all along I thought she hates millets. And then another day she picks out only TOPS pellets and left everything else. And the next day she goes only for Zupreem Natural pellets. Same goes with apples, kales, banana, papaya, and mango. The only vegetable she consistantly loves is chilli pepper seeds.

I know that finches are able figure out what their bodies need and pick the right food to supplement their needs. But can parrots do the same?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back