Feathers

Montesmom

Mar 3, 2014
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Monte- Cinnamon gcc 10/04/13 Blue- Turquoise gcc 11/21/13 ��
Parakeets Charlie, Yui, Yogi
I tried asking this in another topic but it didn't get seen. My babies have not grown any of their flights back. I bought them already clipped. Is this normal? I've heard that they need to be clipped as much as every 6 months. I don't think I want to clip them again and am getting anxious for them to grow in. Also, Monte has broken all of her tail feathers off. Do they need to actually lose them at the base in order to get pins? They are molting some and have beautiful feathers coming in on their body.
They are fed TOPs and Goldenobles along with fresh fruit and veggies so I don't think this is a diet issue with their flights and tail feathers.
Any advise would be appreciated!
:green2:

I am not an experienced bird owner but when I got Jellybean he was clipped - then after about 2 months he started growing flight feathers... I got him clipped again, and in about another 2-3 months he had moulted them and grew more. This time I let them grow... Now he flies everywhere but it did take time to hone his flying skills!!! As for the tail feathers - I believe that they have to moult them before new pin feathers.. I am sure more experienced bird owners will help!!!

You might have to wait til they're around a year old more or less for the first time. Also they don't drop all of the larger feathers (flight or tail) at once. They will drop out and get replaced gradually. That's why they told you if you clip, it might be needed a couple or few times a year especially if the bird is light. If you choose to keep flighted, remember to keep in mind safety measures.

Edit: about the broken tail, yes, they'd have to drop out at the base in order for them to get replaced. It's not like our hairs where if they get broken or cut they still grow :)

Last edited:
Just to add on to what Raven and JellyBean said, I got my GCC Loki and he was clipped, and he just recently started to re grow his flights. He has one on each wing now. And I have had him for over a year now. So some birds just take longer to molt than others (usually 6-12 months) and they don't always lose/regrow all their primaries at once, to my understanding.

Hope you feel better about the feathers! I'm sure they'll all grow in beautifully over time.

Most Reactions

Back