Feather trust issue

SweetCheeks

Dec 4, 2022
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheek
My 2yr old has had VERY thick pin feathers on the back side of her neck that really bother her. She will turn her head all the way around just to guide my finger for a scritch. I try to not move my little finger in the opposite direction or sideways. It’s so tender, she screams & bites because it hurts her. But continuously guides my finger back again until the entire feather is out. I resorted to using tweezers to snap the white casings & it’s worked great. Then she noticed the tweezers. Oh no. It was so easy. It just seems she wants the big pin feathers out. Doesn’t matter how many baths or sprays, they bother. BTW, the feathers always come out entirely (never broken).
We’re at an impasse. Trust is broken on both our ends. Will it come back. We still snuggle, but her guard is up. So sad. Do your birds have huge back/neck feathers? How does your bird tolerate their bothersome pin feathers?

Our big boy has green feathers on his body and Yellow Feathers on his head and neck. Our Julio, a Double Yellow Headed Amazons sits around 500 grams and will molt body and head feathers' year around. There are only a couple of neck feathers that he asked for help with removing the hard covering. But only when he as determined that it is ready (dry, hard and crunchy). Commonly it falls apart with barely much more than a touch. A true win /win moment, I get to play hero and he is happy!!

Assure you are only working with a Pin Feather that is truly ready, to soon and it is painful. If the pin is at all malmble it is not ready and you will be infecting pain and causing a lose of trust! As stated, it should just crumble as you touch it.

The goal is alway maintaining that Trust Bond!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back