El Salvador's baseless rules against our amazona moving to the U.S.!!!!

PapiDeBree

Apr 1, 2011
Parrots
amazona autumnalis cacheteamarillo - red-lored amazona atumnalis
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

My wife will be relocating from El Salvador to the USA in the coming months. El Salvador's government is telling us that we cannot take our parrot -- a fairly common breed, amazona autumnalis red-lored/cachete amarillo -- with us. We've had Brigitte (Bree) since she was a baby, since 2004.

We have a lot of documentation showing how long we've had out parrot (since she was a baby), that it's our pet and can't survive in the wild, that we are its only two strong bonds and a new family just won't do, and that VERY IMPORTANTLY the El Salvador Ministry of Agriculture rules against export/the bird leaving as our pet are TOTALLY baseless. They are claiming it's listed on CITES...yet amazona autumnalis cachetes amarillos/red lored is NOT even a native species and is nowhere in danger of extinction.

We are currently demonstrating veterinary records, life-long photos (since 2004) etc., etc.

Has anyone any experience in dealing with this?

Are you native to El Salvador or another country? When I lived in Malaysia as a diplomat we had some issues with having our pets come back to the US with us. We ended up working with the American embassy to get permission to have our two dogs and two cats flown to the US. They would not allow my snake to be sent back so I just smuggled her on the plane under my shirt. I would not suggest this. Just being honest about what we did.

What exactly are they saying? That they won't give you proper documentation to clear American customs? Or that you just can't take her on the plane? With my snake we debated driving up to Thailand to fly out of there where they have more leniant rules.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back