Easy cleaning

Roo1130

Apr 13, 2015
Media
Houston, TX
Parrots
Tiki Lolani - sun conure (June 2012)
Sully - eclectus (June 2016)
I was wondering if anyone had any tips that may simplify my cleaning routine for my birds playstands. I had been trying to cut paper to lay at the base of my manzanita trees to replace daily. HOwever, that takes me forever to size correctly to fit around the cutouts for the trees and stands etc. Today was nice sunny and warm so i took them outside and gave them a good scrubbing and let them dry for several hours in the sun. I'm motivated with my nice clean perches to try to keep things tidy. Was curious if anyone had little tips that they use to simplify their play stand cleaning. :orange::green2:

Attachments

• IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
If you have them during covid times, plain paper towels (double layered) can make cleaning a lot easier. I know that sounds simple, but it works especially well if your bird tends to poop in the same spot.

Oh my goodness I hadn’t even thought of that!!! You’re right they probably are using more or less the same spot. I kept trying to diligently cover the entire base because I’m a perfectionist and that was probably an utter waste of time. Genius. Man I’ve been cooped up too long can’t even think outside the box anymore. 📦 and...... I’ve successfully convinced the husband that TP and paper towel supplies are dangerously low at the house to promote sparing use so I think I’ve got extra for the birds 😂😂😂

As I said in another thread, I like to use kitchen Cutrite wax paper.

lol! I totally get it!!! I used to cut paper to fit my bird's cage base lol

it's those little things that once you discover them, you're like "how did I ever survive before!". I now put like 3 pieces of cage paper down at a time. Then, each day I pull off the top layer and throw it away and there's a fresh paper already underneath ready to go! Makes it just a little simpler and quicker.

Junk mail ? If you don't mind looking at it as your bird poops on it.

We have this hanging play hoop, with a very large stainless bowl hung by wires under it. With a round grate froma bar b queset, and either paper towels or newspaper nder that, clean up is maybe 5 minutes at the most. We also have a ceiling chain from Saltys cage to this play area, so he comes over whenever he feels like it.

Heres a pic, less the grate,which was being wiped down.

wrench13-albums-salty-pics-picture16871-bday3.jpg

this is genius. Stainless steel is so easy to clean. With future play structures, I'm going to think about the cleaning in addition to the function. Like I wish I could just counter clockwise twist these manzanita trees and have them "unscrew" so I could lay down a big cage paper to cover the whole area and then twist the tree back on.... maybe I need to make those :p My neighbors think I have a zoo inside with all of the front yard cage cleaning and play stand scrubbing going on. Everyone's walking during their covid lockdowns so they're keeping good tabs on the crazy bird girl. kidding, everyone's nice, but i do get a lot of questions lol. they can hear my sun conure from the park a block away no doubt.

Okay, i have to know how you came up with the name Salty..... it makes me think he's an ocean loving bird or has a bit of a "salty" personality. It sparked my curiosity!

i use shell sand idk if i translated this correctly but thats what i use its cheap to buy and easy to toss away

I play fiddle in a pirate band, The Brigands, up n down the east coast. When we first got him, all the family members picked a name and put them into a hat (all our pets get named like that). My vote was Salty. Considering some of the other names, Salty should be very happy mine was picked.

Very cool. It's always interesting to know where names come from. Our little naming thing that we do is all of our pets get middle names. When i was a little kid i would have guinea pigs and such and i always thought it was comical to give a tiny animal a BIG name, so i gave them first and middle names. I guess it just sort of stuck :18: Sully is really "Captain Sullybirder" as a play on Captain Sullenberger who landed the plane on the Hudson. And Tiki is "Tiki Lolani".

i use shell sand idk if i translated this correctly but thats what i use its cheap to buy and easy to toss away

Is that safe though? Is it made of sand, ground up shells, or both? I know sand isn't great..I tried Googling it and there does seem to be something made of oyster shells, but it's unclear whether it could possibly lead to blockages long-term (because a lot of shell mixes contain sand). Just throwing it out there in case, because I tried to research and found very mixed opinions. Sorry Amsterdam- not saying it is bad for sure...you might want to double check though.
I know parrots specifically shouldn't have grit-- not sure if that is what you are referring to, but here is one article that talks about it just in case that is what you are using.
https://the-oasis.org/the-dangers-of-grit-in-a-parrots-diet/ --I could see shells breaking down over time internally, but if there is any sand, it seems worrisome.
^see above link

Last edited:
I use a cat natural paper litter at the bottom on the cage and perch and it works really well. Easy clean up as it absorbs and clumps the poop and when I dump it, everything is nice and clean underneath. My Conure doesn't eat it either.

The thing is, you need to be able to see the urates and urine composition clearly, as well as the fecal matter. This is HUGE in terms of monitoring health. The more absorbent, the harder it is to see their dropping as they are, and that is key..which is, again, why I think litter can be dangerous (blockages and fumes excluded- although those can also pose real threats to parrots depending on the type).

Most Reactions

Back