Dust/dander - how much

Jaz27b

Jun 2, 2014
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Elmo - Varied Lorikeet - I miss you every single day
Hello,

How much dust/dander does a grey produce? Is it reaaalllly bad.... For instance, does it go everywhere? Or just on and near their cage area?
If you have a cuddle with one, will you be covered in white?
Thanks, Jaz

No, don't worry, you won't get covered in white lol...
In my experience my grey only poops and makes dust and feather only inside his cage, though sometimes the feathers get out of the cage.

No, don't worry, you won't get covered in white lol...
In my experience my grey only poops and makes dust and feather only inside his cage, though sometimes the feathers get out of the cage.

Hahaha well that's good to know! I'm researching particular conures at the moment as a pet in the future as the smaller ones are quiter and love the Grey's but instantly dismissed them due to them being a dust not oil based bird. Hmmmmm....

And in regards to noise.... What's your experience with yours like? I live in an apartment so I have to get a bird that is on the more quieter side to life.

I live in an apartment too...
My grey is never loud so I never worry about getting the neighbors annoyed.
Greys are not dust type birds. They are oil based birds.
In my experiences my grey is quiet, and only speaks or makes noises to get my attention or if he wants to play. (which means my grey is basically quiet, not all greys are quiet though)

Last edited:
In my experiences my grey is quiet, and only speaks or makes noises to get my attention or if he wants to play. (which means my grey is basically quiet, not all greys are quiet though)

Wowza that is incredible! I have always been under the impression that they have a lot of dust and dander, like a cockatoo. Well thank you for your info :)

Norman, my Congo African Grey has dusty feathers, after touching his head or wings you can feel the dust on your hands. It's not really visible, but your hands feel smooth. I haven't noticed an increase in dust on furniture or wood floor, but if you run your finger over the top of his cage, a small amount of white dust is visible on your finger.

Norman gets bored easily, and needs a lot of attention. He is sweet natured, but can be naughty! :)

African Greys are dusty birds, not oily birds. :)

African Greys are dusty birds, not oily birds. :)

"Powder down" birds are african greys, cockatiels, and cockatoos.... Frequent baths will help keep the dust down.

I have asthma, I recently got a grey out of a bad situation knowing if the dust was too much for me that the bird would have a loving home with my son.
Well after having her for a while now it is clear she will be living at my son's house, the dust is significant! I would even find myself changing her drinking water 3 or 4 times a day because I could see the dust on the top of the water.
She also enjoyed misting which is uncommon for greys but even with daily light misting she still gives off way too much dust for me and my lungs to handle.
I wear black a lot and yes, clothes also get dust on them. They are dusty birds not oil gland parrots at all. I had a back up plan in place when I took her which I knew would be better than leaving her where she was but I still will miss her.
The other thing is she makes a lot of whistles and beeps that are very common to greys I could hear them all the way at the end of my driveway with the house closed up so depending on how your apartment building is this could be a factor. Most parrots are quiet after lights out (most) but during the day your neighbors will be able to hear a grey at times.

Norman, my Congo African Grey has dusty feathers, after touching his head or wings you can feel the dust on your hands. It's not really visible, but your hands feel smooth. I haven't noticed an increase in dust on furniture or wood floor, but if you run your finger over the top of his cage, a small amount of white dust is visible on your finger.

Norman gets bored easily, and needs a lot of attention. He is sweet natured, but can be naughty! :)

seems like i forgot about the cleaning spray thing. thats why i never got dust on my hands lol...
pardon my false information. they are dust birds.

Remember Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoons? That is what my two CAGs look like when the sun shines on them... clouds of dust wafting off their feathers. Like Tinkerbell and pixie dust... allergy-inducing pixie dust. I have four air filters (one built into the heating-system) and they can't keep up!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back