Do you ever have days you don't really see your bird?

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
My normal routine is that I wake up in the morning, get dressed, Jenga and I have breakfast together, go to work, come home, have dinner, hang out, go to bed and spend the weekend together!

Lately though I've been wanting to take a class one night a week after work. Over the last few years I lost 100+lbs but lately have been gaining a lot of it back and I really need to get this in check before I get back to where I was. I want to join weight watchers and go to support meetings, but unfortunately, the group is kind of far from my house (I live in the hood and no one wants to meet there lol). I live in Chicago so public transportation is King and I don't have a car. Between commute time and then getting home it would be time for bed.

Where I'm very conflicted about this is that Jenga and I wouldn't spend much time together that day. In the morning yes and I'd wake up early so we could have more time, but at night it would be coming in her room to say goodnight, give her kisses and a treat and then to bed for me.

Her health (mentally, emotionally) is priority to me. Part of me says, "it's one night a week, we spend every other night and all weekend (sans a couple errands) together, she'll be fine" but I don't want her to think I've abandoned her or anything like that.

Does anyone else have days they aren't able to spend time with their bird? Do you think they are still happy?

Thanks all in advance for feedback :)

I work for a law firm. Long days during trial are the norm.

AND I HAD 11 BIRDS... AND THEY DID JUST FINE FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME.

Don't overthink it. Give a little extra attention when you can, and the bird will should be fine.

Having a bird doesn't mean you stop living.

I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you can to claw back a little time - if I want to go out in the evening I'll try to fit in an extra half hour in the morning, get out of work a little early so I can play with her and wear her out a little before I leave for the evening, and spend a little time with her before bed, so it doesn't feel like too much of a problem and I don't see any change in her behaviour as a result of the occasional night out. Once a week seems pretty reasonable to me.

Lately we have been getting my elderly father's old house fixed up, much needed home improvements, cleaning, painting, etc., and he lives 30 miles away. It is so much work that every day (for stretches at a time) we are gone all day and into the night.

My birds are fine. In the little time I have with Raven lately, I find he STILL wants time to himself when I'm home! Robin is a cuddle monster, but even then, he is even MORE easy going about it if I have no time.

I HAVE VERY INDEPENDENT SPECIES though... and individuals who are used to entertaining themselves for a long period.

IF I HAD a Grey, or Macaw, or Cockatoo, I'd be starting a thread also, and asking the same thing as you!
BUT... GOOD NEWS is, it looks like from the answers above, it should all be okay :) How about some new smart toys for Jenga? Some interesting ones which are hard to figure out!

One gray, two macaws. Same answer.

Fortunately they not only entertain themselves, they also entertain each other.

It's really special needs birds, and pluckers that you have to worry about. Everyone else can adjust to life's ups and downs.

I had the same fear when I first got my bird and well...life happened and my daughter and grandson needed me for a few days and the bird just adjusted to my long days (better than I did). I'm still his best buddy. He may not have come out of his cage as fast as he used to but that only lasted a day and now things are back to normal...for all of us.

Yep. Extra treats, and new puzzle toys? Oh, were you gone?!

Or the other thing is simply sticking a cardboard box, or something like that on the bottom of the cage, with wadded up papers, old broken toy parts, treats, etc. Kind of a do it yourself, chew on the box, play in the box, find the treats, all encompassing activity center.

(I also use old nutriberry buckets for this one. My CAG loves old nutirberry buckets with broken toy parts, paper, and treats thrown in it. Keeps him busy for hours on end... and it's stuff that would otherwise be trash - like junk mail.)

For 25 years I worked long hours as a Vet tech. I'd leave at dawn and be home after dark. The birds/farm animals adapted beautifully. Horses didn't mind (well except the mare-and we know how us gals are about eating late), and the dogs were always glad to see me at any hour. Without fail, the birds aways managed to come to life whenever I turned on the lights. In less than a minute you'd think the sun had risen with all the noise they made. I'd take care of them, clean the cages, we'd cackle, whistle and carry on. The tame birds took turns riding on my shoulders, the not so tame spent time outside their cages for socializing but not touching with me. And when we were done, all went back into the cages, and the lights went out. Within a minute all was quiet (except for the mare-who'd bang her stall just because she could).

If you adapt, your animals will too. As busy as I was my pets were my 'fun time'. I made what time I could spend with them count. They kept me sane-even the cranky mare who instantly forgave me the moment the feed hit the bucket.

Thank you so much guys for the warm support! Jenga does over preen a bit but I agree taking the extra effort to put in the treats and foraging toys and she is quite motivated ;-)

Most Reactions

Back