Do you believe there is a pecking order in birds?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
This seems to be documented in chickens and I know we all agree our birds do not dominate but I was wondering if you think they go by pecking order. How is a pecking order different then the dominance behavior found in wolf packs or dogs? What does it mean if there is a pecking order?

I think there is.

when Safari was alive (my Senegal), he was definitely the BOSS, then the conures, lovebirds, and lastly my cockatiels.....strangely enough, they all got along.

Not in my flock [I don't think]. Theirs ones that cant be out together. But know one seems in charge .

The impression I get is a flock of birds doesn't have the sophisticated structure / hierarchy that a pack of dogs or troupe of monkeys might, but that a lot gets decided by squabbling and the stronger, more aggressive birds generally get their own way. It's certainly how the rooks and magpies that congregate round here operate. Certain species seem to bicker and squabble to pass the time as much as anything else - a little reminiscent of certain humans I know!

Mark Bittner's book on the wild conures in San Francisco goes into flock dynamic in great detail, that's a really interesting read on the subject.

The impression I get is a flock of birds doesn't have the sophisticated structure / hierarchy that a pack of dogs or troupe of monkeys might, but that a lot gets decided by squabbling and the stronger, more aggressive birds generally get their own way. It's certainly how the rooks and magpies that congregate round here operate. Certain species seem to bicker and squabble to pass the time as much as anything else - a little reminiscent of certain humans I know!

Mark Bittner's book on the wild conures in San Francisco goes into flock dynamic in great detail, that's a really interesting read on the subject.

Your use of the crow family is a good one. Jackdaws have a pecking order. It works in line with nesting sites mainly. The stronger couple take the best nest sites. Small/younger and 'lesser' birds have to give way.

Sparrows to have a pecking order. The little black bib(males) on its front indicates its status. Again the smaller younger birds have to give way when the big boss comes it.

I'm sure there are more examples, these are just the ones that came to mind. :)

Sparrows for sure, me and my fids watch their antics very day in the summer. And big battles break out often.

I just ordered that book and DVD. Also a book I saw (Amazon) called "the parrot who owns me". Thanks for the tip :)

I just ordered that book and DVD. Also a book I saw (Amazon) called "the parrot who owns me". Thanks for the tip :)

They're both fantastic, although I warn you you'll need tissues for the film! But it's fascinating to see the interactions of the flock, and the human aspect of it - Mark's story and relationship with the flock - is equally engaging. The book is a lot more detailed, very well observed and gives you a much more complete picture, so good to read immediately after the film.

I paid a visit to Telegraph Hill this year - unfortunately the conures were a no show but a beautiful place to wander around.

AGAIN, THIS DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES...

Some birds have incredibly complex and tight knit flock structures, and others do not.

Macaw flights generally have a dominant male. The other birds tend to follow that bird's lead...

Quakers certainly have a dynamic flock structure.

I have a flock of 5 IRN's and there's a definite pecking order.

My hand-reared mature female always makes sure she's first at the foodbowl, if any of the others try to even think about it they get a warning lunge. After her it's her male and after him my 3 month old new baby.

In the other cage it seems to be the female that's more dominant.

Sidenote: I had them all in one cage but had to separate the two males because of territorial issues and I only had one female at that point which only complicated matters between them. When they were all together it was always the male I had to move that seemed to lose out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back