Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
So, I live in South Africa as some of you may know. Usually, pet stores just have birds on display with no information about them near the enclosure, and store clerks are often not very knowledgeable when asked questions. In my early days of having my birds I was told the most inaccurate information out there when talking to people in pet stores. I think this is a big problem considering how long parrots live for, and the fact that someone may pick up any species of bird and expect it to be a short term, "easy" pet.

However, I went to this MAGNIFICENT pet shop a about 30 minutes away from my house the other day, and I was so pleasantly surprised. Next to each enclosure there were detailed descriptions of the species, including how long they typically live for and what an owner can expect in terms of care requirements - from reptiles to rodents to birds. I took a photo of a few of these signs to repeat here.

For example, for green cheeked conures they made it very clear that they are "highly affectionate and love their owners intensely, so they need an owner that is able to give them a great deal of time out of the cage" as well as detailing the correct care for the species (cage requirements, food, etc). This sort of detail was reflected across all species descriptions, from budgies and parrotlets to blue and gold macaws and umbrella cockatoos.

Other than these very important details about owning a particular species and its general behaviour, each enclosure had the average lifespan of the bird printed in such a way that it was very VERY clear. This made me think of how many people who buy budgies expect them to have the lifespan of hamsters and inevitably neglect or treat them poorly, and how IF ONLY all pet shops were set up like this one, such tragedies could be prevented.

So, I guess my main question is this: is it common for pet stores in your region (wherever that may be) to give detailed information about the animals available? I obviously only have experience here and I am certainly not slamming my trusty local pet store and its lovely owners, animals and attitudes - but having seen the potential of providing the tools necessary to make an informed decision about the purchase of a companion bird, I really wish that more pet stores would do this!

unfortunately over here Pet stores have all but stopped selling birds due to the H1N1 epidemic from what I have gathered. The breeder I got Rio from ran a "store" mainly for the toys and cages. There was little info on the birds outside of their species and rough age. But I will give that the owner did give some good advice and every sale got a copy of their care sheet which has a lot of good info on it

Outside of that one place I'm mostly at the mercy of going to breeders, so you gotta do the research yourself. That place you went to sounds awesome!

Sounds reminiscent of the "mom and pop" type pet stores I used to go in as a kid. The staff was always ready to tell you whatever necessary to make a sale regardless of accuracy or consideration if the animal would be a good fit for the individual. In the US, those types of stores have all but disappeared in favor of big box stores (which do the little info cards on enclosures and hand out care pamphlets with purchase) and specialty stores that only sell one type of pets (birds, reptiles etc....) who's staff is extremely knowledgeable about the kind of animals they sell.

Unfortunately, the pet store I bought Dora from didn't have the set up you described. If only! Maybe it would discourage those who view parrots as a novelty/dispensable. Although, the person did share any knowledge they had and answer any questions I had, regarding the species. Some of it their advice was "old school"... Which is one of the reasons I am glad I found this place! :)
The UK's largest pet supplier (Pets At Home) provides leaflets with information on any animals they sell - I don't frequent there. In my experience, when I did visit (years ago) the staff themselves seemed clueless about the animals in their care and more interested in the £££. Rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish and reptiles. No birds.

At our petsmart, there's often rescue parrots that are there for sale. There's a very detailed description, including background, and a highly stressed detail that they require extra time and vet visits. This is all great, but unfortunately a lot of these birds are stuck in the bottom cages for months on end. One time I found a mollucan cockatoo under a blanket that was sold and had plucked all it's chest feathers. The cage smelled of dry blood and other unpleasants. Very sad... But again there was a very detailed description. I just wish they did this with all the birds there, a "general care" sign, in the same detail.

I still have a picture of him, I wish I had taken a picture of the sign. He let my dad scritch his head and really enjoyed it.
c3a559b6f864e296ad22fab9e1762cb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

At our petsmart, there's often rescue parrots that are there for sale. There's a very detailed description, including background, and a highly stressed detail that they require extra time and vet visits. This is all great, but unfortunately a lot of these birds are stuck in the bottom cages for months on end. One time I found a mollucan cockatoo under a blanket that was sold and had plucked all it's chest feathers. The cage smelled of dry blood and other unpleasants. Very sad... But again there was a very detailed description. I just wish they did this with all the birds there, a "general care" sign, in the same detail.

I still have a picture of him, I wish I had taken a picture of the sign. He let my dad scritch his head and really enjoyed it.

Ah that is so terrible - it’s really sad that many people are not willing to take on rescue parrots hence why they are at the stores for months and months. :( I think that’s the trouble, although they are rescue parrots they aren’t living at bird rescues or shelters where they will be given (presumably) much better care.

Ah that is so terrible - it’s really sad that many people are not willing to take on rescue parrots hence why they are at the stores for months and months. :( I think that’s the trouble, although they are rescue parrots they aren’t living at bird rescues or shelters where they will be given (presumably) much better care.
Exactly. Not to mention these birds still have a high price tag... if it were up to me, I'd have no price tag but simply a test and background check in order to adopt these babies. Even then, it's not foolproof. A rescue organization is still preferable, as many people will simply not be able to take any.

I'm lucky, we have a great pet store in my town. It is locally owned and has been around for over 25 years. The chain stores are like they are everywhere, not great. But this place has good employees that are well treated. They care about their animals and are all well cared for. They host weekly pet adoptions with the local shelter and Greyhound park. And they are the closest thing to a bird rescue we have. When I got Mushka they were informative, supportive, and patient with all my questions and daily visits to see Mushka. Their store pet is a sulpher crested cockatoo named pickles that loves everyone that walks through the door. The employees often have their own pets with them or one of the pets available at the store with them. It's not perfect but it is as good a place as I have seen. Not everyone there knows everything but if they don't know they find someone that does. Mushka loves to go visit and two of their employees gave me their number if I ever need a bird sitter. One of Mushka's best friends from there has come by my house to visit her. If you are ever in Mobile Alabama I highly recommend going by B and B Petstop. Wonderful place. It is expensive but well worth it. Here's Mushka's tag from there just for fun!

mooshiebird-albums-stuff-picture19163-moosh-tag.jpg

I have yet to see a candid posting of statistics for the consumer. Would be nice to have a "window sticker" as is mandated for new automobiles. (in the U.S.)

In my area there are two types of stores selling birds. Most predominant are the "big box" or regionally/nationally branded facilities. Employees have minimal knowledge and provide standardized generic handouts. The "mom and pop" shops have more knowledgeable employees, but often struggle with advanced questions. Sadly, for most birds, it is Caveat Emptor for prospective parronts.

I hit a lot of stores looking for different types of toys, I live not in but near a metropolitan region. For the most part they give pretty good "Basic" info. I think they expect you to buy the book or to talk to a cute sales girl for the upsale and to get most the other important stuff. It's not bad...just how America does things...it's all about the art of the deal. Not even bait and switch just, lets talk about the bird.

Most Reactions

Back