Do I Have A Northern Mealy?

MUDDYSNEAKERS#8

Jun 12, 2024
Parrots
Northern mealy amazon
Ah Ha! You have a Northern Mealy Amazon. The Southern ones are all green. The Northies have that blue forehead patch.
I think my mealy is a Northern. Any answers?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617_214155_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617_214155_Gallery.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 20
@muddysneakers8 - how old is yours? Juvenile parrot's feathers change as they hit puberty and go on into adulthood. My little Amazons coloring only stabilized after he was, Oh, say 4 years or so. Your much larger Mealy may take longer for his true, adult plumage. But if he is already more than that old, I'd agree, Northern Mealy.

Sadly, the population of Mealy Amazons in North America is heavily populated with hybrids as with so few Mealy's, crossing Northern and Southern Mealy's had become common in the 60's and 70's. As a result it became difficult to be sure without a detailed photo portfolio of the Amazon to see various views to properly determine the linage of the Amazon. Best photo sets come as the Amazon is in Hormonal Season as they commonly are displaying the best feathers.

A true Northern Mealy will show sprits of white on its nape. The amount of white is highly variable from barely visible to near full white.

Regardless, the joy of a Mealy is their loving nature!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back