do conures need grit?

They don't need grit but a concrete perch would help keeping the beak trimmed. They should get majority nutrients they need from the food you feed if you feed quality food plus fresh fruits and veggies. Plus other things along with pellets that's more well balanced.

I second Mikey on the no grit. All my online research showed they do not need it and could in fact be a potential problem.

They don't need grit but a concrete perch would help keeping the beak trimmed. They should get majority nutrients they need from the food you feed if you feed quality food plus fresh fruits and veggies. Plus other things along with pellets that's more well balanced.

You hit the nail on the head Michael well said.
Concrete perches sure do help in keeping the beaks trimmed.

:grey:

Sorry, i don't mean to hijack your post but quick question, i noticed my Eckies concrete perch has some chunks out of it... should i worry if he has been chewing at it?

instead of a cocrete pearch should i just get a block? a beak sharpener?

I got a pair from someone i keep them in a small bedroom when can i let them out to fly around?

they are a bonded pair they wont be tame with me but they are not scared of me

any kind of plants or something i should put in their room?

they let me touch their feet though? does this mean they are tame? Sorry i never had this type of conure before.

they hit their beaks on the cage when i go into the room?

Sorry, i don't mean to hijack your post but quick question, i noticed my Eckies concrete perch has some chunks out of it... should i worry if he has been chewing at it?

If that's the case I would replace the perch with a new one to prevent potential issues.

instead of a cocrete pearch should i just get a block? a beak sharpener?

I got a pair from someone i keep them in a small bedroom when can i let them out to fly around?

they are a bonded pair they wont be tame with me but they are not scared of me

any kind of plants or something i should put in their room?

Concrete perch works best in my opinion better then those blocks. I've had the blocks before but I don't see them touch it or use it period.

You can let them out to fly around whenever you feel comfortable to do so.

they let me touch their feet though? does this mean they are tame? Sorry i never had this type of conure before.

they hit their beaks on the cage when i go into the room?

You said they're not afraid of you so most likely tame if they let you touch their feet.

I've had birds beat their beaks on the cage to make noise or asking for something such as food or to be let out.

wow so just go in and let them sit on me?

I guess non tame birds would scream and flap? I am going to buy 1. concrete pearch 2. more fruit pellets i hear they are much better than seeds 3. kale

also was going to use a reg cerial bowl and let them try to bath in it? wow they are LOUD but adoerable. They have so much more character than I expected even.

was also going to buy a planet or 2 in case they want to pearch on it when out.

They can only be let out in the one bedroom because i have 4 cats and a monster dog.

the other pets are jealouse of me going in there

Where i got them from i felt so sorry for them and the other birds, i watned to take home so many because they are all just kept there in cages some had their feathers plucked. I guess a lot of breeders are like this?

the other pets are jealouse of me going in there

Where i got them from i felt so sorry for them and the other birds, i watned to take home so many because they are all just kept there in cages some had their feathers plucked. I guess a lot of breeders are like this?

A lot of owners are like that too unfortunately.....

i am use to pigeon and finch breeders who usually keep their birds in huge areas but I guess many parrots wont breed like that but it was depressing I just wanted to take the plucked ones

If that's the case I would replace the perch with a new one to prevent potential issues.
I removed it as soon as I noticed and plan on getting a new one today but it wasn't in his cage very long. If it happens again should I just scratch it and leave him without?

I removed it as soon as I noticed and plan on getting a new one today but it wasn't in his cage very long. If it happens again should I just scratch it and leave him without?

If you buy the same thing and it happens again, I'd buy one from a different manufacturer, it could just be a low quality brand. They should last for many many years. All of mine are at least 12 years old. All but one of mine are from Polly's Pastels.

Yea I got a different one, a calcium perch instead so it shouldn't be such an issue if he chews it and it seems better quality.

No grit. It has been linked to potential digestive problems and serves no legitimate purpose.

A cuttlebone on the other hand is always a good idea. They help the bird keep their beak conditioned as well as providing calcium.

I agree about the concrete perches. These have been proven to be helpful in keeping a birds feet trimmed. Also, provided a variety of perches at various sizes (but none too big or too small for the bird).

Lastly, don't use a bird protector. Most domestic birds don't have lice/mites and therefore don't need that - it has also been linked to potential problems.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back