Diet.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I just want to ask if there's any way I can make Pearl's diet any better or if I'm doing good enough. Of course Pearl's main diet and pellets was configured by the breeder and vet. She is on pellets called Pretty Bird African Special. I let her "free feed" from that all day. She gets treats every now and then and some people food. She gets fresh fruits and vegetables at dinnertime and eats a lot. The fruits and vegetables consists of bananas,apples,peas,carrots,broccoli. No matter what she will always eat the carrots and broccoli but is sometimes picky with the other stuff. There are also other kinds of fruits and vegetables. It's basically whatever we have available that's bird safe. She loves this stuff and drains almost a whole bowl of pellets and veggies each day. Is this a good diet? Do you guys think theres any other way to improve her diet?

Thanks

This is a wonderful web site with lots of information for us. Hope you will read it and find some hints on nutrution. Most of us "seasned" parrot people already have this.=

This is a wonderful web site with lots of information for us. Hope you will read it and find some hints on nutrution. Most of us "seasned" parrot people already have this.=

There doesn't appear to be a link?:confused:

I have always feed my birds well...actually too well. Currently my 16 year old noble macaw has such high cholesterol that it is life threatening. The vet and I believe that Diego my Illiger's macaw that died of a sudden fatal stroke probably had the same problem. However Diego was only 9 years old so she also thinks it was hereditary with his stroke problem.

I also attended a seminar to help update me on parrot care and I learned the most astounding thing. There was a breeder of African greys who asked questions about high cholesterol and heart disease in African Greys because she had lost about a fourth of her flock to heart disease.

This was a wake up call for me to re educate myself of how to feed parrots healthy. I have kept birds since 1991. Mihijo is the only one living in my flock at this point. Since I am getting a baby RFM I am taking the steps to learn how to feed them better so I don't give them heart disease.

With Mihijo I had to cut out table foods, change his pellets to a roudybush low fat, he gets grains sprinkled on his wet food instead of seeds. I had to stop feeding him goldenfeast brand foods (they are seeds, nuts, and dried, veggies and fruits) and I give him two drops of flax seed oil a day. This friday I take him in to have his blood drawn and will get the verdict of how this diet change has helped him.

I just want to say that with African Greys they suffer heart disease also. I fear for my Noble macaws life right now because his level is over 1200 when his blood was drawn 6 weeks ago. I will report his test results in a new thread under macaws. Good luck with feeding your grey. My confidence was shaken but I am re learning how to feed parrots.

Noblemacaw

The incidence of atherosclerosis in African Grey parrots is high. This is a very interesting subject currently under studies by many people. The next time a person wants to give your AG a bite of cheese just because they like it think of the consequences. I stopped feeding Rosie cheese when I found out about this. I started a thread for this subject as I thought others may want to chime in

Last edited:
Mihijo loves his cheese...and a lot of other things I had to suddenly cut him off of. I also have to take my bird every day and shoot flax seed oil down his throat. YUCK. After I "medicate" him with the oil he spends time just rolling that tongue around like he is playing with something. Poor parrot.

I prey that everyday I uncover his cage that he is still alive. I prey that I am in time and am helping him lower his numbers and that he will survive this disease. Tomorrow he will get his blood drawn and I will get the results next week to see how his new diet is doing. I don't know if I should put that thread under Macaws or here. Maybe make a double post for people to catch it?

Anyway its not only African greys but my Illiger's macaw died of a sudden fatal stroke and my Noble macaw levels are so high its a wonder he does not drop dead.

I will update when I can.

Noblemacaw

You are correct in that high levels of cholesterol are found in other birds such as Amazons and cockatoos. I do hope it works out for you. Is he getting exercise?

Wow,, this is very interesting to me. I need to go and study up on this. Thanks you guys.

Hello
So far as diet is concerned,for human beings or animals,it is essential part to survive in the world so,balance diet should be taken for healthy physique.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back