did the vet injured my sun conure! what do I do?

mousebird

Apr 20, 2015
My conure Lexi got herself hung by her leg band and it caused it to bruise all up and swell very badly. We took her to the vet worried that the leg band could do further damage and wanted it looked at. He cut it off and immediately it got 100x worse! She started to completely stop using it and now, less than two weeks after seeing the vet, she is worse than she ever was! Her claw is swolen and bruised, and some of her toes turned dark dark purple. She lost two toes in the last two days!!!

What should we do? Did the vet hurt her or was it something we did? I'm scared to take her back because of what happened!!! Does anyone have any advice?:orange:

Welcome to the forums.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your sun conure. Yes, please take her to an avian vet straight away. Sounds like she's having necrosis in her toes/foot. Didn't the vet take x-rays when you took her in?

Time is of the essence here!

Hello and welcome!

I'm so sorry your sun conure is suffering. Please take the wonderful advice you've been given and get your little one to an avian vet as soon as you possibly can.

I'm surprised the vet didn't schedule a follow up. They likely cut the band off as leaving it on would have certainly caused the bird to lose the leg.
Time is of the essence, call the vet and go immediately.

Any updates on Lexi? Were you able to get her to a vet?

Everyone is saying the obvious "go to the vet" without seeing the part that you were concerned that specific vet may have caused further damage--is there another avian vet you can go to? Keep us updated.

Everyone is saying the obvious "go to the vet" without seeing the part that you were concerned that specific vet may have caused further damage--is there another avian vet you can go to? Keep us updated.

I'm pretty sure everyone who posted saw the part where the OP was concerned that the vet may have caused further damage. It just really doesn't change the answer. If your bird's foot is swelling, turning purple, and losing toes, the answer is going to be to go to the vet.

As was stated in an earlier post, time was of the essence. Not only to save this bird's foot, but to save his life. At this point, infection has to be a concern. It's been 2 weeks. So I really hope the OP was able to find another vet. But if not, given the circumstances, even the original vet would've been preferable to watching in horror as things unfolded at home.

I know a whole bunch of us are eagerly awaiting an update from the OP. Unfortunately she/he has not logged back into the forums since making this disturbing and frightening thread.

I know a whole bunch of us are eagerly awaiting an update from the OP. Unfortunately she/he has not logged back into the forums since making this disturbing and frightening thread.

I almost feel hit and run posters are worse than the nightmare that is laid out in the post!
Hopefully this was only a sick school project to teach writing skills!!

I'm pretty sure everyone who posted saw the part where the OP was concerned that the vet may have caused further damage. It just really doesn't change the answer. If your bird's foot is swelling, turning purple, and losing toes, the answer is going to be to go to the vet.

As was stated in an earlier post, time was of the essence. Not only to save this bird's foot, but to save his life. At this point, infection has to be a concern. It's been 2 weeks. So I really hope the OP was able to find another vet. But if not, given the circumstances, even the original vet would've been preferable to watching in horror as things unfolded at home.

Of course I agree with the vet. I just think OP's concern combined with coming here for advice and potentially not feeling supported by the responses may be the reason OP hasn't come back to update us. Sometimes responses come across a little aggressive when written since tone is difficult to read, that's all. Not disagreeing with the advice :)

Of course I agree with the vet. I just think OP's concern combined with coming here for advice and potentially not feeling supported by the responses may be the reason OP hasn't come back to update us. Sometimes responses come across a little aggressive when written since tone is difficult to read, that's all. Not disagreeing with the advice :)

After just reading everyone's responses - twice - NOBODY even remotely sounded aggressive. In fact, everyone showed a huge amount of concern. :)

I respectfully disagree. Maybe I'm overly sensitive or was thinking about other threads. :/

EDIT: i'm like a sensitive cockatoo xP

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back