Conure has crust on beak

nesparza0008

Apr 30, 2018
attachment.php

My conure has this weird crust on her beak and Iā€™m worried. Should I seek medical attention?

Attachments

• A906C4DF-7125-4A08-AF99-0C6A17557534.jpeg
    A906C4DF-7125-4A08-AF99-0C6A17557534.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 338
It looks like normal layering/sloughing to me, but...
Do you have a Certified Avian Vet? If not, it's well worth having one "in the wings", and a good basic check-up is a great way to start.
By the way, that expression is absolutely one of the sweetest I've ever seen.
Members? How does that beak look to you?

I agree with Gail...just looks normal to me. I'd keep an eye on it if I were you and of your baby needs a check up maybe you can ask a vet.

Looks like a possible poopy face to me....

Can you give your conure a bath and see if it comes off on it's own?

Looks like dried food to me, have you given a good rough perch? The Polly's Featherweight range are good and solid and mean the birds can get some purchase to keep their beak how it should be. AV intervention is not something I encourage for a beak. :)

Agree with all of the above. Looks like normal 'layering' to me. The discoloration may be due to foods.

I also recommend a sand perch. Skittles has one on his playstand that is on my desk and he uses it daily to rub his beak on and polish it. They do tend to get dirty so when you clean it you can use a diluted bleach solution and wipe it clean and then thoroughly rinse it until the bleach smell is gone. That's what my vet recommended.

Funny thing is Cytrynka's beak would never look like that. She is very demanding when it comes to self-cleanliness. She wipes her beak in everything, and (unfortunately) our shirts are preferred for this task :D

Skittles is the same way. He is super hygienic. It saves me money because I don't have to pay for beak polishes anymore and he only needs nail trims annually and even then they aren't that long. I don't know why he's so obsessed with his appearance, I mean its not like he has any fancy coloring to show off lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back