Conure attack!

petie

Jul 2, 2012
We adopted Petie from the animal shelter last Sept so have had him less than a year. We do not know his age, sex, or background. My husband and I are retired and we have a lot of time to spend with Petie and his newly acquired housemate Norie - a young quaker we got from a rescue center in April. Petie has never bitten me - Norie is another story. She bites. We spend 6 months in FL, where it is just my husband and I. When we come home to Indiana in April, our grandkids come to visit from time to time. We did not have any trouble with Petie and the grandkids for the brief time they were around him before we left for FL, and no trouble on their first visit this spring, however Petie would fly over onto Oliver's head from time to time - only him - not his brother. On this past visit, Petie flew across the room and bit Oliver HARD on the ear!!!! May have bitten through - not sure. I am not aware of any incidents between them that would have caused Petie to do this. If it had been Norie, I would not have been so surprised. It will now be an ongoing problem, because I do not dare have Petie loose when the kids come to visit. Any ideas on why this happened?

Maybe Oliver looks like someone that abused your bird or the bird had a bad experience with him. My rescue conure was very aggressive to anybody at first. I was able to tame him but my bird is still very frightened of men. I have had multiple people say he's scared of men that do not know my bird's history. It turns out my conure was abused by a guy so he prefers women. My conure may lunge or hide with any guy around.

I mean this is all just an assumption. It could be hair color, sound of a person's voice, or some other physical feature that triggers it for Petie. Could have Petie been jealous of Oliver getting attention for you guys? Oliver could give Petie treats so the bird likes him more.

By the way, my nanday conure's name is Oliver! I love that name. We call him Ollie for short.

Most Reactions

Back