Chore chart

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
My 5 year old daughter got her own cockatiel a couple days ago, she is an awesome little tamed tiel and just great with the kids. Our understanding with the breeder was that if Sai doesn't take care of the bird I will bring it back to her and she will take her no questions asked since she had planned to use her for breeding anyway and she is a great breeder she agreed.. For the last two days (since we got her) Sai has been doing everything and being great and giving her tons of attention. I want to make sure that it continues so i am going to make her a sticker chart, and the end of each week if she gets all the stickers she will get money to spend on toys or treats for the bird. (I buy all the fruit and pellet though)

I just need ideas on what to put on the chart.
So far I have,
clean cage, (change paper in the drawer)
Fresh water,
food,
clean perches 3x week
playtime
spray bottle bath
vaccuum around cage,
clean any poops that were not contained in cage lol
and she has to keep her room clean (even though the bird isnt in her room)
also put away any toys or clothes that she or her baby brother leave in the living room.

am i missing anything?

I'm not asking for criticism of my parenting. I am asking if I am missing anything care wise for HER bird that SHE is responsible for.

Also, I'm not going to bring the bird back for just a few times of failing to take care of a couple of things, but if it does become a pattern and she does not take care of her for a long time or is not taking care of her to my standards I will bring her back. If weeks go by and she is not taking care of it, she is going to go back to the breeder because that is the arrangement that my daughter, I and the breeder have...

Trick training could be fun for extra stickers, so extra money she could earn to buy stuff for Lili.

A bit of a fun thing she could get into to keep her interested could be making her own toys for her bird. But otherwise your daughter sounds very grown up and responsible. You should be proud!

She also needs fresh fruits and vegetables, is that part of the food entry?

I chop her fruit and veggies and they go in individual baggies, so my daughter just has to wash her bowl and pour them in the morning.

She is very responsible, Thank you. I wish I could get my son to me 1/4 as responsible as her.

I think once a week on the perches would be fine. 3x is kind of unnecessary. I would also have her swap out toys once a week to keep the bird occupied and mentally healthy. Even smaller parrots grow easily bored. There are a lot of great ideas on the DIY forum here on toy-making, and could prove to be fun craft projects for your daughter while benefiting the bird AND saving money on toys.

Besides that, I think your pretty set. My mom rode me with my first pet (a leopard gecko) and when I had a small fish tank (which I had to wash every single weekend). Taught me a great deal of responsibility and just how carefully one much consider the care and time commitment of taking an animal (or now as an adult) having a child is. It's a great learning experience for your daughter so long as your there to help guide her and reminder her until she learns to do everything on her own:)

Seems like you've got some awesome responses so far (toy making, trick training, etc.) part of play time could be if she has a song/anything music she has to rehearse for school, tiels LOVE music!(as any bird.) when I was younger I'd sing my silly songs and my cockatiel would dance around with me hehe. I was probably 6 or 7 :)

I'm glad she's so responsible. My little sister (10) has a diamond dove and that's about as much as she can handle. She keeps beggin me to talk her parents into letting her get a cockatiel or a conure buuuut I think I'll stick to her visitations with my birds, then maybe she can handle a parrot in a couple years. :p

Most Reactions

Back