Chattering in sleep

Staysee

Sep 13, 2017
UK
Parrots
Patagonian Conure
Anyone else's parrot chatter in their sleep? Our Patagonian has night's where he almost screeches in his sleep, so I got a video of it haha we found out he was asleep cos my other half went to tell him to be quiet but he made him jump and he fell down through the cage and was a bit bewildered in his face when he brought him out to calm him down, bless him.

So here's the video of his chattering

[ame="https://youtu.be/h3CdE3udVY4"]Syd chattering in his sleep - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds a bit like: Night Chatter. Kind of like Contact Calls, but in a half sleep state as a check to see if the rest of the flock is near by! This sometimes can manifest as beak grinding or a grunt, click or a deeper hmmm, sound.

A couple of our Amazons have done like things and we commonly use our day time contact call, but softer, or a like sound to what the Parrot is making.

Pulling the cover, will likely cause a 'Night Flight' and is not recommended! If you need to move your Parrot in the middle of the night, there should be a ton of normal voice level contact calls and, I am coming, etc... prior to lifting a night cover during the normal sleep time. This course of action is only done in an emergence when moving the Parrot is must happen.

Some birds also like to make noise when it's dark. A couple of videos of Charlie - he's completely awake though

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiSy867bpik"]Laughing Monster - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OKIVzwfxo"]Bedtime Noises - YouTube[/ame]

Love these!

Yeah, I read in several places that Patagonians are one of few parrots who are partially nocturnal... even fly and feed at night. I have some photos of wild Patagonians on fences and telephone poles, lit by moonlight... really beautiful.

The Rb mumbles about "mmmm, ohhh, mmmmm" at night, sometimes says "uh-huh, uh-huh, mmmmmmm..."
Must be dreaming about J-Lo.

Ooooh I thought this was baby chatter!

Remi does this when she's relaxed and contented, but also makes these noises over the TV while she's snoozing after dinner (mixed with beak grinding).

If she raises the volume we'll answer but mostly just let her go - she seems to be practicing her words (here's hoping, I'm sure I'll get tired of "hello bubba" for everything!)

Love these!

Yeah, I read in several places that Patagonians are one of few parrots who are partially nocturnal... even fly and feed at night. I have some photos of wild Patagonians on fences and telephone poles, lit by moonlight... really beautiful.

The Rb mumbles about "mmmm, ohhh, mmmmm" at night, sometimes says "uh-huh, uh-huh, mmmmmmm..."

A J-Lo fan ey....RB has good taste! Haha

Love these!

Nocturnal Patagonians, and flying in the light of the moon. Other than forced night flights or those over open water (light is increased by reflection off the water surface) with bright moon light, fairly uncommon for birds other than Owls and some migrating birds.

I wonder what Patagonians have to give-up to be able to have limited light sight. Kind of like Humans do not have the same range of color as most Parrots, but have greater separation of grey tones.

Interesting!

Aaaa, the sight thing, not the J-Lo thing. :D

Love these!

A J-Lo fan ey....RB has good taste! Haha

If you haven't, please Read the RB Thread: The Rickeybird Scrapbook, 1984 - Updates

It will provide you great insight regarding RB's tastes in general! Its a big read, but well worth it!

Sorry to the OP for the Thread side slide!

Nigel complains if we dare make noise when he is asleep. Otherwise he is quiet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Nigel’s not Patagonian but he always buttfeathers his way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Back