Caique nibbles his own shoulder whilst playing

HazelParrott

Nov 16, 2017
Hi, Our caique sometimes nibbles his right shoulder whilst he is playing. As he does this, he makes a squabbling noise. We are wondering if this is just because he is a bit over-excited or whether there is another underlying cause such as a pain in his shoulder which is aggravating him. We have had him since he was about 2 or 3 years old and he is now about 10 years old. He has always done this squabbling-shoulder-nibbling behaviour on odd occasions. Any ideas, please?

That is a question for a Certified Avian Vet ( CAV) , certainly not something that should be diagnosed on an Internet web board. ANy sign of missing feathers or bare patches? 10 yrs is too young to be developing arthritis. Good Luck!

That is a question for a Certified Avian Vet ( CAV) , certainly not something that should be diagnosed on an Internet web board. ANy sign of missing feathers or bare patches? 10 yrs is too young to be developing arthritis. Good Luck!

I couldn't agree more!
Get him checked out as soon as you can.

I know this is an older post, but just thought I'd let you know that my caique does this, too, when she's playing. Usually it's when she's hanging from something and acting like a maniac. She doesn't feather pick, is healthy, and nothing seems to be bothering her.

My Amazons bite there own legs when playing. I don't think they use force when doing so.

I always assumed they just got carried away.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back