Cages that can be passed through doorways

MarkJ77433

Mar 17, 2020
Cypress, TX (Houston)
Parrots
Congo African Grey (deceased - 40 years)
Yellow Naped Amazon (deceased 33 years)
Panama Amazon (born 4/21/2019)
I'm new to this forum, but have had parrots for 40 years. Had being that I recently lost my 33 year old Yellow Nape and my 40 year old African Grey. Now I'm considering getting a new bird, likely in the same size/species.

The cages I currently own have served their purpose well and are still in very good condition (some powder coating has worn off). My first inclination was to use my existing cage for the new bird's home. However, I've learned that cage size recommendations have gotten bigger. since I purchased these cages well over 30 years ago. My cages are 24 x 18 x 34 and have a 4" seed skirt surrounding the exterior. My Amazon and Grey never seemed to be in too small of a cage during their lifetimes, but I understand that the next bird will be happier and healthier in a larger space. I also know the importance of giving birds plenty of play time outside of their cage.

The convenience I found with this cage size was being able to move from room to room; especially to take outside for cage cleaning or just to let the birds enjoy the outdoors. But now looking at larger cages, I lose that convenience (so it seems).

How do most parrot owners today manage to move cages through doorways? Are there models where the seed skirt is easily and conveniently removed for passage? Are there models that are more spacious but narrow enough to be transported through a doorway (approximately 28")?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to benefiting from this forum with my next bird adventure.

Welcome to the forum Mark, and my condolences on your recent losses. After so many years of companionship that must have been heartbreaking.

In terms of new cages, my recent purchases came flat-packed for me to assemble (and were easily assembled thank goodness!) and I simply did not bother attaching the seed skirts. For me thatā€™s just one more surface Iā€™ve gotta scrape poop off and most birds tend to fling food well beyond the few inches that the seed skirts would cover anyway. As youā€™ve already observed they just take up unnecessary space and make the cage less manoeuvrable around the house. Certainly Iā€™m happier to sweep a few extra bits off the floor than deal with food getting stuck in those fiddly crevices between the cage and any seed skirt!

I wish you all the very best in your quest for a new feathery companion and look forward to sharing in your journey together.

Welcome to the forum Mark, and my condolences on your recent losses. After so many years of companionship that must have been heartbreaking.

In terms of new cages, my recent purchases came flat-packed for me to assemble (and were easily assembled thank goodness!) and I simply did not bother attaching the seed skirts. For me thatā€™s just one more surface Iā€™ve gotta scrape poop off and most birds tend to fling food well beyond the few inches that the seed skirts would cover anyway. As youā€™ve already observed they just take up unnecessary space and make the cage less manoeuvrable around the house. Certainly Iā€™m happier to sweep a few extra bits off the floor than deal with food getting stuck in those fiddly crevices between the cage and any seed skirt!

I wish you all the very best in your quest for a new feathery companion and look forward to sharing in your journey together.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

You may be right about the necessity of the seed skirts. When I purchased my cages some 30+ years ago, the skirts were kind of a new innovation - at least I was unaware of other cages having them. And I did believe they helped contain not only seeds, but feathers, and yes, projectile poop. So I'm going on my memory of the benefit I got from the skirt.

Some of the much larger cages I've been looking at online would certainly fit through a doorway without a seed skirt. So I'm trying to see what cage models might be easy for the occasional removal. I think one person said theirs was easy to remove, another person said it was possible with the removal of some bolts/nuts, but not necessarily easy. Maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of using a seed skirt, but generally feel they do help with mess. Then again, I have a robot vacuum and that might help keep debris contained.

I still look at my 30+ year old cages and think they would be sufficient, but would need to insure that my next bird had plenty of time outside the cage to play and exercise. I just don't know if my cages have become completely obsolete for any bird, or are still practical as sleeping quarters and safe places while I am away.

My favorite source for Bird Cages in North America is: birdcages4less.com
The website is current down for maintenance, but should be back-up soon.

- What is important Today is a cage that can quickly be taken out your front door in case of a fire or like emergency, or just taking the cage outside... Measure the door opening and use that as your guide.
- New design seed catchers are constructed to be assembled without nuts and bolts so they quickly can be removed and placed back in place (see above). Remember to ask, some are still selling the old style.
- Full height front door opening! I cannot stress enough how wonderful this single item is as it easies your entry into the cage for cleaning, changing out toys, etc... It also eases moving your Parrot in and out of the cage.
- New style (larger) food and water bowls and access doors.
- Flat top cages with built on play tops add to the usefulness of the top area...

Once you have determined the front door opening of your home, which defines the depth of the cage, you can look for the length of the cage (the right and left distances of the front door side of the cage). Target a wider cage as it provide great space inside of the cage.

Happy shopping.

My favorite source for Bird Cages in North America is: birdcages4less.com
The website is current down for maintenance, but should be back-up soon.

- What is important Today is a cage that can quickly be taken out your front door in case of a fire or like emergency, or just taking the cage outside... Measure the door opening and use that as your guide.
- New design seed catchers are constructed to be assembled without nuts and bolts so they quickly can be removed and placed back in place (see above). Remember to ask, some are still selling the old style.
- Full height front door opening! I cannot stress enough how wonderful this single item is as it easies your entry into the cage for cleaning, changing out toys, etc... It also eases moving your Parrot in and out of the cage.
- New style (larger) food and water bowls and access doors.
- Flat top cages with built on play tops add to the usefulness of the top area...

Once you have determined the front door opening of your home, which defines the depth of the cage, you can look for the length of the cage (the right and left distances of the front door side of the cage). Target a wider cage as it provide great space inside of the cage.

Happy shopping.

All great points. I actually have been in communication with birdcages4less and they have been very helpful. They went as far as sending me the cage assembly documentation for a cage model I am considering so I could see what was involved to add/remove the seed skirt.

My narrowest doorway is 28", so that is my guideline.

I plan to go visit some local shops with cages on display to help give me a better idea. I was primarily asking the forum for what their experiences have been and cage recommendations or practices that may help to meet this purpose.

I suspect many bird owners may have a primary cage that stays within its designated room and alternate cages for transporting out narrow passages. At this point in time, I don't want to accumulate more cages - I already have two that could work for that purpose, but want to reduce the number of cages and maybe in the future install a stationary aviary on an outdoor patio for those times where weather is ideal for the birds to enjoy. But deep cleaning a cage generally requires taking the cage outside the house, and that is an objective I want to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back