May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 24 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-23yrs - normal Cockatiel
Vortex (F) - Hatched March 15 2024
Someone on my FB feed said my cage for the cockatiels/conure(aka the 'community cage') was too small. I thought it was a comfortable size for four smaller birds. Now i'm confused?

Messy Community Cage.JPG

and Vortex's cage in comparison (plz excuse the mess. I hadn't cleaned it yet yesterday!):

Messy Vortex CageJPG.JPG

My opinion - for 1 or 2 cockies, excellent size. To me, this cage for 3 or 4 tiels, is too small. If the conure is in with them, it is definitely too small.

My opinion - for 1 or 2 cockies, excellent size. To me, this cage for 3 or 4 tiels, is too small. If the conure is in with them, it is definitely too small.
Agreed with this, I had 2 tiels and a conure together at one point in a double flight cage that was probably about the same depth, not quite as tall, but about twice the width. I feel like that's what I'd recommend for that many birds.

If they get irritable with each other, better to have plenty of space to get away and give each other the cold shoulder than for the conure to lose his patience and do a serious bite

I'd upgrade, I have three big birds and 5 budgies.....I always want the smaller more nimble birds room to escape if they (usually it is the budgies) start something off.

GCCs and Cockatiels have a reputation of challenging other birds.

I'm not saying anything will happen maybe they all love eachother, but IDK.

All of my cages are community cages as they are all open all the time, and the birds just rotate around all three. They only get shut at night when I know agreed besties are in cages together.

If they never fight I wouldn't worry about it, but if.... (looking at ages) some get hormonal you might want an option to segregate. Just a thought, you know your flock better than I ever would and I wouldn't presume to overstep on your intuition. I wouldn't worry to much on to many others opinions on Facebook.

I'd upgrade, I have three big birds and 5 budgies.....I always want the smaller more nimble birds room to escape if they (usually it is the budgies) start something off.

GCCs and Cockatiels have a reputation of challenging other birds.

I'm not saying anything will happen maybe they all love eachother, but IDK.

All of my cages are community cages as they are all open all the time, and the birds just rotate around all three. They only get shut at night when I know agreed besties are in cages together.

If they never fight I wouldn't worry about it, but if.... (looking at ages) some get hormonal you might want an option to segregate. Just a thought, you know your flock better than I ever would and I wouldn't presume to overstep on your intuition. I wouldn't worry to much on to many others opinions on Facebook.
Part of the reason why the conure is in with my cockatiels is because he gets along so well with the others. :) I mean, they have their moments of 'THIS IS MY PERCH!', but they get along and don't squabble over food or water. My secret is that they have a lot of places to hide if need be. Plus hte cockatiels tend to segregate themselves from Charlie. if it were any other bird, I would definitely have another cage set aside for Charlie :)

Might have to look into a bigger flight cage then. Thanks everyone for your input! :D .

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back