Buster is fly happy

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
So yesterday Buster was playing around in the kitchen as usual, when Adrian decided to go play outside witht he dogs, as soon as the door opened Buster leapt up and flew outside, looking for some fun and sun. He hasn't been flight trained to return so I ran out in a flash. He also decided to land in front of my Labrador who in turn thought ahh fast food and tried to snap at him, missing him with inches. So I was screaming like a banshee at the dogs, Buster refused to return and went flapping about the yard with the 2 dogs in a frenzy. Ethan ran and got the net for me to catch Buster with, so I got him inside and put him inside the cage, he was shaking so bad and I think me catching him with the net made it worse, I don't know if he thinks I was trying to trap him for the dogs or something. Needless to say we were all in shock Buster the most off course. The dogs got so close to him he had slobber on his feet! Now today he keeps giving me the evil eye whenever I pass near him, and he is fluttering about incessantly whenever I approach, flying around the whole house. Now I am really split in two: I don't want to clip his wings but I do want to keep him safe, don't know if he will fly out again but judging by his behaviour today I'm not sure that he won't. I also don't want to cage him as he's used to being out most of the day. Any advice please?

How's about an insect door screen ?
It would let you leave the door open and the dogs go in n out but be enough deterrent for a flighty bird

Most Reactions

Back