Budgies got in a fight - help!

Sep 18, 2024
Parrots
Dove, a fancy budgie, and Diva, a blue budgie
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, and unfortunately it’s under bad circumstances.

I’ve had two female budgies, Dove and Diva, for about three years now. They were bonded for a couple years, and then one day they had a fight in the cage (for seemingly no reason). Every time they saw each other they would try to lunge and start another fight. So, I got another flight cage and kept them separately (although still in the same room, because they enjoyed hearing each other’s chirps.)
Last night, Diva was flying around the house, and Dove was in her cage. My sister went to go feed Dove, and accidentally let her out of the cage. She didn’t know how to get Dove back in her cage (she will only step up on my hand) so she called me. Apparently Dove flew over to Diva and they immediately began grooming each other and feeding each other. I figured they would do that until I got home and could catch them. Wrong. They both flew back into one of the cages, and had a big fight. Diva is unscathed, but it looks like Diva bit Dove on the cere. Additionally, Dove is kind of holding her wings out from her body (like budgies do when they’re hot.). My avian vet can’t take her in until next month, but if it’s an emergency, I can drive her to a different avian vet, it’s 2 and a half hours away which is why we don’t typically go there. I’m posting some pictures of Dove (taken last night right after the fight). I would just like to know if she needs to go to the vet immediately, or if it will heal on its own for the most part? Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_4175.jpeg
    IMG_4175.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 14
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, and unfortunately it’s under bad circumstances.

I’ve had two female budgies, Dove and Diva, for about three years now. They were bonded for a couple years, and then one day they had a fight in the cage (for seemingly no reason). Every time they saw each other they would try to lunge and start another fight. So, I got another flight cage and kept them separately (although still in the same room, because they enjoyed hearing each other’s chirps.)
Last night, Diva was flying around the house, and Dove was in her cage. My sister went to go feed Dove, and accidentally let her out of the cage. She didn’t know how to get Dove back in her cage (she will only step up on my hand) so she called me. Apparently Dove flew over to Diva and they immediately began grooming each other and feeding each other. I figured they would do that until I got home and could catch them. Wrong. They both flew back into one of the cages, and had a big fight. Diva is unscathed, but it looks like Diva bit Dove on the cere. Additionally, Dove is kind of holding her wings out from her body (like budgies do when they’re hot.). My avian vet can’t take her in until next month, but if it’s an emergency, I can drive her to a different avian vet, it’s 2 and a half hours away which is why we don’t typically go there. I’m posting some pictures of Dove (taken last night right after the fight). I would just like to know if she needs to go to the vet immediately, or if it will heal on its own for the most part? Thanks :)

Oh poor little Dove! Budgie hens certainly can get rather nasty when they want to! Impossible to tell from here how deep that wound might be, but you could try very gently cleaning it up with some sterile saline and treating it with either some aloe vera juice from a fresh cut leaf, or even Medihoney if you can get some. Both of those have good anti-bacterial and healing properties, aloe also has some pain relief benefit as well and is a very handy little plant if you can grow one at home. As you know she will try to hide any ongoing discomfort so keep an eye on her and have her seen by the vet if you have any concerns. I wish your little girl a full and speedy recovery! 🙏

Most Reactions

Back