Branch Spacing.

Moomoo

Nov 12, 2016
California
Parrots
Sun Conure
okay, so as you may or may not know i am considering purchasing a conure and i am preparing an old cage that we bought for a rescue crow whom flew away and am wondering about branch spacing. The cage I'm sure is big enough for a conure, the branches are sturdy and don't wiggle. There aren't any toys ATM because i gave the old ones to the hamster and am planning on buying all new things at the time of purchase. i also plan on adding a soft bendy rope perch, it reaches all the way across the full length of the cage, it was purchased for the crow but he hated it so its brand new and never used, but i don't know a good place to put it, is my cage already too crowded? i know the crow was comfortable in it, he never plucked at himself or threw super long fits and he came out all the time so the conure will probably come out alot as well. also the triangular hanging bed is new and never used, it was advertised for medium and small birds, good or bad?.. The pictures i took(i hope it works, never done this, new to the website) are attached and are to help, i put a can in for reference. I ask because i would hate for him/her to have trouble or fall and get injured. if the pictures aren't enough let me know and I'll take more of whatever will be helpful. any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
View attachment 17854

View attachment 17855

View attachment 17856

View attachment 17857

View attachment 17858

Last edited:
Half inch is good! If you look at photos, your cage seems empty in comparison! Fill it up with most anything.

Happy hut is gone, Bongo is terrible at shredding them! Too dangerous!

Hey, on a different note. Pull everything out of there and bleach/scrub every inch!
For replacement perches, there are many free, local branches you can use!

Half inch is good! If you look at photos, your cage seems empty in comparison! Fill it up with most anything.

Happy hut is gone, Bongo is terrible at shredding them! Too dangerous!

Hey, on a different note. Pull everything out of there and bleach/scrub every inch!
For replacement perches, there are many free, local branches you can use!

Wow! Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear that the spacing is the right size and I wasn't reading another unreliable internet source! And yes today is cleaning day! I plan on taking every branch out and soaking it in a mixture of 1/4 cup bleach and 1-2 gallons of water, I'm hoping that isn't too strong though if I put them in for a long rinse would it be okay? Also how long should I soak in bleach solution? Do you know a better bleach:water ratio? And should I remove the happy hut? Or see if the bird is destructive first? I read an article about it on here but should I even risk it? Also I'm planning on 30-50% of his diet being a zupreem fruit blend bird food advertised for conures, the other 50-80% being fresh fruits, veggies, nut mix bird food(no dried fruit), I was wondering if that's too much or a wrong balance. I know that I want to avoid dried fruit because of sulfur and my motto is, why risk it?

You really don't have to bleach it to clean it - hot water and vinegar do wonders. Happy Huts tend to promote hormonal behaviour (my Avery is case and point), and they can ingest the fibres which may cause crop compaction. Fruit blend Zupreme is an "okay" pellet, as it is high in sugars. But your ratios are definitely a great start!

It's ideal with branch spacing to have them accessible but not too close. Imagine your bird sitting on the branch and then pooping - that helps give you an idea where you'd want another branch to be. The closer and more layered they are, the more likely they are to get pooped on often.

You really don't have to bleach it to clean it - hot water and vinegar do wonders. Happy Huts tend to promote hormonal behaviour (my Avery is case and point), and they can ingest the fibres which may cause crop compaction. Fruit blend Zupreme is an "okay" pellet, as it is high in sugars. But your ratios are definitely a great start!

It's ideal with branch spacing to have them accessible but not too close. Imagine your bird sitting on the branch and then pooping - that helps give you an idea where you'd want another branch to be. The closer and more layered they are, the more likely they are to get pooped on often.

okay, so a warm water and vinegar solution, all the branches, no happy hut. i thought about the sugar thing and was thinking ill just drop the serving to 20% of its diet. i just hoped it was appropriate for a base of minerals and vitamins. i of course plan on supplying the bird with a cuddle bone. even my crow had a cuddle bone and the occasional mineral block. as for the branches, i use to be very meticulous about branch placement when it came to putting in a new one for Constantine (the crow) because i didn't like to see him standing in his own poop nor was it fun having to spray large piles of poop off of branches that were misplaced. you wouldn't want to stand on your poop all day. any other tips for bringing him home? i plan on leaving him in his cage to initially adjust for three days all the while talking to him often and being in the room with him whenever I'm not busy. If there is any way i can make the car ride home any less stressful for him would be great, i want to provide him the most comfort i can. :orange:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back