Books on parrots

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hi again,
I searched this forum, but didn't find an answer. I'm reading a lot about parrots online, but those are just unrelated chunks of information. I want to buy a good book (like an encyclopedia) about parrots - the species, habitat etc. Not a parrot training book.
I'm looking at the Parrots of the World right now, but I'm not sure I wanna spend $20 on it.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-World-An-Identification-Guide/dp/0691092516/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1409958711&sr=1-1]Parrots of the World: An Identification Guide: Joseph M. Forshaw, Frank Knight: 9780691092515: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
I also found another older one:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Parrots-World-David-Alderton/dp/0866221204/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409958761&sr=1-1&keywords=parrots+atlas]Atlas of Parrots of the World: David Alderton, Graeme Stevenson: 9780866221207: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Have anybody read those? Are they good?
Or maybe you have some other suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Parrots of the world is good if you want to know info like habitat, vocalizations and specifics about markings, behavior in the wild and breeding specifics. If you want to know about parrots as pets, I would recommend Parrots for Dummies, it's got all the info you need.

Parrots of the world is a great field guide, so is the Peterson field guide to parrots of the world.

I read every single parrot book my public library had to offer, and found the majority to be out of date or very basic. If you already know some about parrots you'll be left wanting more. If you know very little it's good to read anything you can get your hands on.

I bought "the perfectly trained parrot" a few months back and really enjoyed it. It's written by a woman who's worked with a large variety of birds from horn-bills, raptors, corvids, and parrots. Books written by parrot only people humanize the birds the birds to much in my opinion. And this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to get more than that one point of view.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Trained-Parrot-Rebecca-OConnor-ebook/dp/B00L2FXKUY/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409964709&sr=1-13&keywords=parrots"]The Perfectly Trained Parrot - Kindle edition by Rebecca K. O'Connor. Crafts, Hobbies & Home Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.[/ame]

has anyone ever read the parrot wizards guide to well behaved parrots? It's by some guy who has a youtube channel and branched away from bird tricks a few years back.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Wizards-Guide-Behaved-Parrots/dp/1626208042/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=parrot]The Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well Behaved Parrots: Michael Sazhin: 9781626208049: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

has anyone ever read the parrot wizards guide to well behaved parrots? It's by some guy who has a youtube channel and branched away from bird tricks a few years back.
The Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well Behaved Parrots: Michael Sazhin: 9781626208049: Amazon.com: Books

I've seen his videos and blog, he really is a wizard with parrots, so I'm guessing his book is pretty good.
I've never really followed him, watched a few here and there. He's clearly passionate about birds, it's a good thing.

I've bought some good wild bird books on Amazon, they were hard back reference books like brand new $35 and $45 new for just a couple dollars for bird books Amazon is my go to. Bonita :rainbow1:

My parents have an old version of parrots of the world, and it is truly a beautiful book. This would be the version I'm familiar with-
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-World-Joseph-Forshaw/dp/0876669593/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=020Z24KVK40C6FNVKB7X]Parrots of the World: Joseph Forshaw, William T. Cooper, Dean Amadon: 0018214699538: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Old, but still informative and just nice to flip through.

It has parrots you've never even heard of in it:) Very comprehensive, and yes, it has tekkies. But it's a field guide with the (very beautifully done) illustrated images of each species. No care instructions, more the scientific stuff. Kind of a coffee table book.

i have a handful of parrot books... plus various other bird and nature and pet books...

of the parrot books, i'd recommend these two:

one, is a field guide that everyone here is talking about. i love it :D

and the other is a guide book on care, its pretty darn detailed, though perhaps slightly out-dated on some info. otherwise it is still an excellent read for the basics and it has quite a lot of info packed into it. its easy to follow, it has various recipes for cooked foods, caging for various species, etc. ive found it to be one of my favourite care books, but the training section could be updated a bit, but that will happen with any book since new methods are always developed, old ones modified, etc. still been very helpful when i was first getting into researching pet parrots when i was 12 :)

Most Reactions

Back