Bleeding feathers - vet needed??

Pigletguinea

Nov 29, 2013
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine
So, came home from 2 days in work (I work sleepovers) to be told by my husband that Oskie had fallen off his perch. He was clipped pretty badly when I got him so can't fly, and is going through his first moult now. He looked ok. I was then informed that he had been bleeding...of course I panicked thinking that he had been left for a whole day to bleed to death with a broken blood feather!
However, when I checked him over he doesn't seem to be bleeding at all. His tail has old, dried blood on it and there is old blood on his perch, but I've been monitoring him and definitely no fresh blood. I also checked his faeces in case that was the source of the blood, but all is normal. I can't find signs of a pulled feather anywhere.
Is it possible for parrots to break a blood feather and it clots naturally? At the moment I'm just not sure about a vet visit, Oskie is so lively and, well, just being his usual self?

It is possible for feathers to clot naturally, especially if the broken feather isn't to bad. It's always good to throw some corn starch on, and gently hold pressure to aid in clotting.

The part to worry about is if the blood feather breaks badly, it's then like a IV of blood escaping their body, and it has a lot of trouble trying to clot.

Thanks for that, it puts my mind at ease! Still no more bleeding. The problem is, he's so active that he's slowly bent and broken off his beautiful tail while playing, so the part where I found blood is just a spaghetti junction of broken ends (I can't find the feather that is bleeding!). But all seems well, he's screaming up a tantrum in the next room so he must be feeling ok :)
:green1::green1:

If he does start to bleed again, dont panic, find the offending feather and with a pair of hemostats or needle nose pliers grab it and firmly pull. nice and straight with a slight twist. then put some corn starch on the spot it came from and hold it there for a short time.

Of course you should towel the bird for this. it will hurt you more than it will hurt him.

well since hes not bleeding anymore, its all right. take care of Oskie. lower his perch, maybe, so he doesnt land up like this again.

Most Reactions

Back