Birds taking food from hand and then dropping it!!

Keano

May 2, 2013
Melbourne
Parrots
2 indian ring-necks.....female.
I am trying very hard to target train both my IRNs who are about 6months old now and both females. I separate them now when doing this due to others advice. My problem is.....I use a chop stick and a clicker. Both my birds will bite the chopstick wherever I place it, I click and then offer them a food treat. They either ignore it all together (despite being hungry) or take it and drop it instantly!! Is this normal? Should I continue to persevere, it's been about 4 weeks now!

It sounds like you haven't found a treat they like yet. Try, dried fruit, fresh fruit, almonds, cashews, pine nuts(no shell), cashews, pistachios, noodles, chicken, salmon, anything healthy.

Have you tried a treat bowl? That may work, when they touch the stick put the treat in a bowl in their cage, or have a small bowl in your hand.

I just started target training with my birds tonight. My grey did well but my macaw started dropping her treats after about 6 good attempts. I think Copper is right. Find a treat you know they love. Try different things until you hit the jackpot. Also, try to refrain from giving that treat at any other time so they look forward to getting it during training. In reading my book it also said to make sure they are hungry when you train. I'm just beginning myself so it's a learning experience. Good luck, I know we both need it! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back