Birds not of a Feather?

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
I am new here, and as I mentioned in my intro thread, we have a website called PetoftheDay.com. The other day we featured a pair of birds, a Congo African Grey and an Indian ringneck, only a month apart in age, and who got along very well. I had always been taught "birds of a feather flock together" but these boys are different in most ways. Do parrots generally get along with other birds? Does gender matter, or size?

Here's their archive page: Jambert, JJ - African Grey, Indian ringneck - December 27, 2010 , just for reference. We normally only feature one pet per day, but when a pair is so together we sometimes make an exception. We've often had a pair of lovebirds, but rarely a "mismatched set" of birds like JJ and Jambert.

Just curious!

I think young animals of almost any species are more likely to get along. There are a lot of cat and bird buddies out there who were raised together who have no idea they are supposed to be sworn enemies. :D

I think young animals of almost any species are more likely to get along. There are a lot of cat and bird buddies out there who were raised together who have no idea they are supposed to be sworn enemies. :D

I also believe that if they are raised together they will generally get along. I can also tell you that just because they are both birds does not mean that they will get along. My two birds hate each other. I had one for a few years before I adopted the other.

Is there any optimal age to introduce a new bird, or does it just vary bird to bird?

I know for bunnies, people will tell you every bunny wants a rabbit companion, but Miss Hoppy was an only rabbit for a very good reason. We even tried getting her a stuffed animal (lamb, smaller than her) to be a companion after hearing of others who had done so, but she had a staring contest with it, then attacked it and kicked it across the room. "Lambie" got rehomed to a friend's toddler, and peace returned.

Most animals do have natural instincts. And a lot of those instincts will come in to use when the animal gets older; However, if an animal becomes close friends with another as a young child, those two animals will have a good relationship. Separate those animals though, and place for instance a dog with a cat that grew up with another dog, and think that cat is going to be ok with the dog, you will find yourself burring one or the other. Just because your pet bird gets along with another pet bird does not mean that it will get along with another. It completely depends on the animal itself. I myself have had more animals than you could possibly imagine ranging from birds, snakes, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish, spiders, geckos, dogs, cats to whatever you can think... To now sticking with the love of my life of birds. And even with birds I have found that not all birds even of the same species stick together. See how things go with the birds. I have a dog (my brothers) and my budgies I can stick in the same room trusting the dog will not harm my birds only because she is incredibly calm. But I would never leave her alone with them. Good luck. It all depends on the animals. My advice. Never leave the new guys alone together until you are certain they will not harm one another.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back