May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I don't have time to clean my birds cages every day, and my budgies love digging through the poop papers, so I was wondering if I could make the bottom tray bioactive? I would use dubias, earthworms, and bird-safe sprouting seeds for sprouts. I's still have to change the soil, but at least my birds would have safe enrichment in the bottom of the cages instead of poop papers!

I don't have time to clean my birds cages every day, and my budgies love digging through the poop papers, so I was wondering if I could make the bottom tray bioactive? I would use dubias, earthworms, and bird-safe sprouting seeds for sprouts. I's still have to change the soil, but at least my birds would have safe enrichment in the bottom of the cages instead of poop papers!
Stormy, I do not recommend. Wild birds have a lifetime of exposure to build their immune systems. I am concerned that the top layer of dirt will dry and can very easily be inhaled leading to respiratory infections. Humidity in houses is often lower than ambient levels which does make it easier for our birds to get respiratory infections as well. Soil ecology is so complex…now if you had plants (like wheatgrass) covering the bottom…well, that would reduce the aerosolized dirt dust (as long as kept moist with good drainage). Complex cage configuration but would be an interesting experiment!!

You could use bedding like crinklepaper :) but you'll need to clean it daily and do spot cleaning daily as well

Stormy, I do not recommend. Wild birds have a lifetime of exposure to build their immune systems. I am concerned that the top layer of dirt will dry and can very easily be inhaled leading to respiratory infections. Humidity in houses is often lower than ambient levels which does make it easier for our birds to get respiratory infections as well. Soil ecology is so complex…now if you had plants (like wheatgrass) covering the bottom…well, that would reduce the aerosolized dirt dust (as long as kept moist with good drainage). Complex cage configuration but would be an interesting experiment!!
I would keep moist, and coconut soil is infamous for rarely ever getting dry (one of the reasons I chose it). They used to have a coconut soil planter box, but I just ended up with dirt all over my floor! I think I'll start with one of the smaller sleeping cages, and if all goes well, do all the cages.

earthworms carry parasites. Is recommended not to allow captive birds to eat insects, worm
Ok, could I use dubias and superworms? I have heard that parrots can and will eat superworms and that they're parrot safe, idk about the dubias, though.

Earthworms have many internal parasites, including protozoa, platyhelminthes, and nematodes; they can be found in the worms' blood, seminal vesicles, coelom, or intestine, or in their cocoons.
1647115700321.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Earthworm - Wikipedia

Apparently dubia roaches are parrot safe!

Beyond my scope of knowledge my friend...
But I wouldn't
I did some research, and they're parrot safe, just not good to be fed in large quantities.

Basically you are creating a compost heap. Thats not healthy for a bird to live above.
Molds, yeast and fungus are going to love growing in thst and burds are sensitive to those
Probably not a good idea, but I was wondering if it could work with normal spot cleaning/poop scooping? Pretty sure I'm not going to plant anything in there, and I might not even have bugs, but I need something that is safe for them to dig in...

I am not always able to change my bird's papers every day. (Large cages and occasional back problems...) When Calliope was brooding and I got aspen chips for her nestbox, I found they work really well as bedding in the cages also. They do keep it cleaner, the kinda absorb the droppings so that wing-blasts arent stirring them up as much. As long as I am able to change the papers regularly, as I should, then "news" papers --(I actually use flyers from the local Market Basket grocery store; they put new ones on Sundays, so I occasionally just take a whole stack on a Saturday) --are the economical and better option. However when I am UN able to change them frequently, then I will line the cage with shavings. This would be ridiculous and expensive to change out daily, but when I'm going Far Longer than I'd prefer between changes, the Aspen shavings work well. (Carefully read the label, get the ones with nothing added to them.)

I am not always able to change my bird's papers every day. (Large cages and occasional back problems...) When Calliope was brooding and I got aspen chips for her nestbox, I found they work really well as bedding in the cages also. They do keep it cleaner, the kinda absorb the droppings so that wing-blasts arent stirring them up as much. As long as I am able to change the papers regularly, as I should, then "news" papers --(I actually use flyers from the local Market Basket grocery store; they put new ones on Sundays, so I occasionally just take a whole stack on a Saturday) --are the economical and better option. However when I am UN able to change them frequently, then I will line the cage with shavings. This would be ridiculous and expensive to change out daily, but when I'm going Far Longer than I'd prefer between changes, the Aspen shavings work well. (Carefully read the label, get the ones with nothing added to them.)
I'm using newspaper to monitor poop :)

Most Reactions

Back