Baby quaker, nibbling Everything!

Nicnox

Oct 19, 2013
Baby quaker Lola had been with us for 3 days now and is starting to come out of her shell a little now. She is nibbling absolutely everything including skin. Do I discourage this as I'm pretty sure she's just exploring the world via her mouth... I'm wearing a beaded bracelet at the minute and am offer ring her that instead of my fingers to chew on. Also I've been having two sessions a day with her of about an hour at a time and she seems very flighty especially if I pet her head/neck. She doesn't seem to enjoy being petted at all. Will that come with time? Should I lay off the petting till she trusts me better or just keep doing a little often? She was hand reared.. Thanks peeps I already have a brown headed who is seven, he's such a little tickle monster. It feels strange that Lola's not keen on the tickles....

Its just gonna take her time to get used to you as its only been 3 days. Sometimes it can take months for a bird to get attached to you.

It's more the nibbling that I'm worried about, as she's not big enough to do any damage now. Don't wanna do the wrong thing so she carries on doing it when she's older, as then it's guna get painful lol

They try everything with their mouth unless she's nipping hard there's nothing to worry about.

It is normal for baby Quakers to explore different things by nibbling on them. It doesn't usually develop into full-scale biting.

Just be patient and eventually, Lola may start accepting head scratches. She has to learn that she can trust you and begin to feel completely comfortable with you before that will happen. My QP Ralph was with me for about three months before he started asking for head scratches-- and now he demands them several times a day. :)

in my experience, baby quakers nibble everything. haha. cooper used to "mouth" everything in sight. his FAVORITE thing for whatever little birdie reason was to chew on finger nails, at first, i allowed it, but my fingers looked like I was chewing on them, yeah that bad. haha. then after not letting him he lost interest in it. so if one thing in particular bothers you, just deny her the opportunity to chew on whatever it is.

Aw thanks for the advice. I have plenty of patience but just worry that I may be doing things wrong. I don't wana let the little lady down. Already love her to bits..

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back