B&G macaw pellets advice

umeirsatar

Jun 22, 2020
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hello, quick question are these considered pellets? I have a 7 months old b&g macaw that seems to still be in the process of learning to eat as I only just got him from the breeder and hes still on 2x formula a day and only eats a tiny bit of boiled carrots from the veggies bowl I offer him daily, I got this pack bit expensive but it seems to be the only high quality food I can get for him atm, I tried offering him some but he wouldnt take any of it or even put it in his mouth, I would like to know if I could continue to offer him this and if they r good and considered pellets as his base diet? and how do I get him to eat it?

81tUVA3LJ7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, Kaytee is an excellent source of Sugar, Salt and tons of food coloring and some other stuff. Not my first choice for a baby.

Who did you buy this baby from? Assuming little information came with the baby, right. Maybe a few moments of comments about feeding technic..

Last edited:
Hmmm, Kaytee is an excellent source of Sugar, Salt and tons of food coloring and some other stuff. Not my first choice for a baby.

Who did you buy this baby from? Assuming little information came with the baby, right. Maybe a few moments of comments about feeding technic..

A breeder that doesn't guide me well no more. What should I do in this case? Someone recommended TOPS, should I try that?

Those are definitely pellets, but they have artificial dye. If you're trying to get them on a good diet straight away (which you should!) I would recommend a different pellet. The two main ways to tell if a pellet is good is no dye and nothing extra (like seeds or nuts) in it!

Macaws do need a slightly higher fat diet which you can get from nuts, but I would reserve those for training or foraging, and make sure the bird is getting enough exercise to burn off the extra fat!

I would consult an avian vet. If your breeder gave you an unweaned baby and no further advice, he probably isn't the best source of knowledge on birds!

Seven months is a respectable age, but if your macaw is not fully weaned, please consider this thread. Not all will apply in your case: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

Many folks recommend Tops or Harrison's among others. Parrots can be extremely fussy, so the "best" pellet is the one your bird accepts. I'm a fan of Harrison's conversion techniques, should work regardless of brand: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

While I can't make any pellet recommendations I can tell you that Dr. Susan Clubb recommends Kaytee. I know that she recommends the Kaytee high fat handfeeding formula for her baby macaws.
https://susanclubb.com/

We recently switched the pellet part of our birds diet from zuprem natural to birdtricks.com pellets. It was easier than I thought it would be they love it. They need mire than just pellets. There is many forums posts on chop etc... So I won't go into it. Good luck

Most Reactions

Back