Are Fir needles okay to boil?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Sometimes I feel a little clueless when I ask these questions...so here goes.
I wanted to simmer a few ingredients on our stove, and I wanted to know if tossing a few fir needles in would harm Kiko? I forgot exactly what kind of fir tree we have, but it's either Douglas or Balsam. I as also going to toss some Halo Orange peels and cinnamon sticks in. Maybe even some Vanilla Extract.

I have never done fir I don't think I would actually but I have often used the other ingredients as well as nutmeg to boil up a natural air freshener, adding the vanilla makes the house smell like cookies!

Wouldn't the fir needles be all sappy and stuff, and possibly ruin your pot? I'm just thinking out loud here. I've 'baked' pine cones before, and didn't put wax paper on my cookie sheet first. BIG mistake. :54:

If you want the nice smell of fir in your home, how about a fresh wreath? That should scent up the home nicely. :)

Hmmn...I know their sappy, but I didn't really think of them ruining the pot. I suppose they could once the water starts evaporating. We have a Christmas tree already in the main part of the house, so it was just a possibility. I know that their not bad if you stick them in tehe house, but I didn't know if it released any chemicals that would be bad.

It is for just fragrancing up the house. You have to travel through our small dining room and living room, and go up the stairs for about 20 or so feet, and then go in my room, which the door is always closed.

Maybe I'll just use Cinnamon Sticks and Oranges, then.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back