Anyone Use Tree Branches For Perches ?

stony

Aug 7, 2015
I have a small home orchard, about 30 fruit trees. I would like to use branches from these trees inside my cage. I think different sizes would be better for their feet, then standard size perches that came with cage. Is tree bark toxic to birds, I know my orchard is filled with birds, but they don't chew bark.

I use this site a lot to check tree species http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

You need to be sure that they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides/chemicals though....

Safe:
Apple (I use this a lot)
Grape wood/vines
Pear
Pecan

Bad:
Cherry
Peach
Plum
Walnut

If I haven't covered any trees you may possibly have, please check the link I provided
[emoji4]

That is a great list !!! Thank you most of my trees are on the safe list. Because it's a home orchard I know what sprays if any are used.

That is a great list !!! Thank you most of my trees are on the safe list. Because it's a home orchard I know what sprays if any are used.

Good luck! Show us what you end up making!

This is a play gym I made from one of our apple trees [emoji41]

I asked this on another thread and got no replies. Does any one have potted (safe) plants in their cages. I am tiring to get away from jail bar look, and go for more jungle look cage.

I asked this on another thread and got no replies. Does any one have potted (safe) plants in their cages. I am tiring to get away from jail bar look, and go for more jungle look cage.

At one point I did have some potted plants around my galah's cage, but she destroyed them very quickly LOL my poor jade plant is still recovering haha.

But here's another list for you
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-medical-conditions/birds-and-plants.aspx

Maybe not put them IN the cage, but around it?

I use the branches all the time. Just make sure they are safe trees.

We use pear tree branches here. Plus you can make toys from them. :) There was a huge branch that was starting to fall and we took it down and made some round platform shelves and then cut tons up into tiny squares and drilled holes in them. I dyed a few different colors using food dye.

Most Reactions

Back