Air sacs

Sabotaged

Nov 4, 2012
I can't find a picture of what air sacs in lovebirds are supposed to look like. I've attached 2 photos. Inside the airsac you can see yellow round bubble looking things, what are these called and are they normal?

My lovebird picked his feathers off around his entire neck. I believe there is an air sac located in the front near the crop and breastbone? You can see just through his his skin you can see those yellow round things in sac? as well.

He's also plucking feathers underneath his wing where there appears to be some yellow-crusted material.

I have given him topical antibiotics and topical antifungul creams just recently. He's also on primarily a pellet diet, with some seeds, millet, vitamin A and vitamin E mixed with oatmeal, wheat germ, and raisins.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 11,496
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,127
considering the pictures, I would seek an avian vet and see what they say.

who recommended the topical antibiotics and topical antifungal cream?

This looks to me like an internal problem, not external.

I had a zebra finch with an impacted crop, and it looked exactly like your first pic.
little bumps...(that's a long story)
keep us posted!

No, I don't think that's the air sac... . You cannot normally see them. Unless the air sac in his neck has ruptured. That looks extremely abnormal... whatever it is. This bird needs to see a vet, NOW. Are you using human antifungal cream? If so, stop. He'll ingest it and that's poisonous. Please, get him to a vet.

Last edited:
If it's not an air sac then what is it? It's deflated if he has no eaten anything. When I had feed them it seems to grow bigger. Looks a bit milky actually.

After looking at some anatomy pictures, I think it's his crop, but his crop isn't over extended and looks normal.

Clotrimazole is approved for usage in birds as indicated by vet. As well as a triple-antibiotic also approved.

I've noticed his skin isn't read anymore and whatever's behind his neck is no longer yellow.

I did give him an Elizabeth collar, and all his feathers grew back, but he pulled them all out again. Vet said it could be due to stress such as sexual frustration, I'm not so sure.

I forgot to ask about behind his neck, she said bring him in if he doesn't improve and try this first. They could run tests but they are expensive especially for students and they don't always find the cause. She said it's also a possibility from not allowing him to be flighted. I could understand that. Maybe I should let him out more in the sunlight too and Vitamin A.

But he's really playful, seeks a lot of attention, and pretty noisy. Even feeds the other lovebird and she has no symptoms. Other than being a bully, even to us. She thinks his cage is hers by right. She sit on the bottom and if anyone comes close she'll squat and start shaking, threatning like. That's when I have to use the water bottle to get her not to bite.

One thing I've noticed for a long time though, is he'll stand up tall and stretch his neck up and make this funny looking face, like he's retarded or something with his beak, not sure what that's all about. I think it's when he gets annoyed, but I can't find anyone posting something similar.

Last edited:
My ekkie is basically bald except his wings and i can tell you that those yellow lumps are definetly not normal. :/
also i dont think its the crop unless something is wrong... you shouldnt really be able to see the crop from the back like whatever you can see in those pictures - even if it is really full, it extends out the front, and sometimes a little to the birds side.
and if there is something wrong, that is the most likely reason for the plucking. you should be trying to treat the problem, not the plucking symptoms first. (at this point anyway)

You need to get your bird to an Avian vet and have the tests run. Weather it costs money or not. We all have to fork out money for our feathered friends at one point or another, and none of us can afford to do it, but we do it because we owe it to them to keep them healthy and happy.

The yellow "things" are probably seed... and you are just seeing a part of the crop that extends to the back of the neck. At least, if I am remembering how the crop is correctly.

Not the best of pics, but a young parrot and you can see how the crop somewhat goes around the neck.
Caique Hatchling | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And, although not a parrot, a great example of the crop in a chick.
siskin chick, full crop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's possible for one bird to be sick in a flock and not infect the others. It really depends on their immune systems.

He shouldn't be eating more than 50% pellets. What about feeding a base diet of 25-50% pellets with the rest made up of sprouted seeds? Then whatever fresh/cooked foods you can get him to eat? (grains? legumes? vegetables? some fruits? occasional cooked eggs?)

Provide a lot of opportunities for foraging, destroying toys and allow him (her?) to have full flight. And, as you mentioned, some time outside (in a cage). 30-60 minutes per day partially in the sun! If you can, get him to bathe at least 3-4 times per week, if not more frequently. Wet birds typically don't pluck!

Although the tests are expensive, and they don't always tell you whats wrong, it's a start! What if something was wrong, and you chose not to do the tests, and because of it, your bird only got worse? It's better to get the tests done and know that everything is fine than not get the tests done and there's something wrong. At minimum, a fecal test! That alone is typically within the $20-$60 range and can tell you if there are any infections within the intestinal tract.

So please, if you can, get some money together for him and get him tested! I know how rough it can be, been there and done that myself! If it's simply not an option, then I'd recommend adding milk thistle extract (alcohol free) to his diet every day. One or two drops per day if he consumes it! It's a good liver support and may help to fight off infections. Before doing this, I would also recommend asking the vet his/her opinion.

I'm recommending the milk thistle as I had one hen get sick and I simply couldn't to take her to the vet (money being the issue). I was also out of any kind of medications, but I had some milk thistle on hand. I gave it to her every day for at least a couple weeks, straight into her mouth, and she went from being pretty sick (easy to remove from cage, - listless, dull eyes, ruffled feathers, wings hanging) to feeling just fine! (hard to remove from the cage! picture perfect of a healthy bird!) She's an older hen, past her expected life expectancy, has cancer and is known for getting bacterial infections lately. Her immune system must not be what it used to be in her younger days! Told my a-vet about the milk thistle, and she was surprised! Guess she never thought of using milk thistle as a form of treatment for a bacterial infection!

I can't say that the milk thistle *will* help, but in small doses, it wont do any harm, and it will help to support the liver.

Easier options, if your bird is sick (and I don't know if he is or not - he would have to be seen by a competent vet), here's a couple of other options. (supplements, not cures - i.e. may help)
Pretty Bird Shopping Cart
Emeraid® Omnivore | Lafeber's Emeraid
HEALx and AVIx Animal Wellness Products-harrisonbirdfoods.com / FEATHER DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR KIT-harrisonbirdfoods.com

I can't find a picture of what air sacs in lovebirds are supposed to look like. I've attached 2 photos. Inside the airsac you can see yellow round bubble looking things, what are these called and are they normal?

My lovebird picked his feathers off around his entire neck. I believe there is an air sac located in the front near the crop and breastbone? You can see just through his his skin you can see those yellow round things in sac? as well.

He's also plucking feathers underneath his wing where there appears to be some yellow-crusted material.

I have given him topical antibiotics and topical antifungul creams just recently. He's also on primarily a pellet diet, with some seeds, millet, vitamin A and vitamin E mixed with oatmeal, wheat germ, and raisins.

I would stop the topical creams ASAP. It doesn't look like there is any infection there. I think your bird has fat deposits under the skin due to a high fat diet.

Change the diet & things might change. He should only have a tablespoon of pellets, if you have to give seed only a tablespoon a day, cut out the Vit A & E, oatmeal, wheat germ & raisins, I think your overdosing your bird on to many vitamins & his body isn't able to break it down & pass it so he is storing it. This is not healthy for him & his liver could be compromised as well meaning he could also have a fatty liver.

He needs a balanced diet. Feed him lots of fresh green vegies, sprouts, corn, beans, peas, apples, celery.

For peace of mind though, a Vet visit would be in order.

I have included additional pictures, even the retarded faces he makes when he gets irritated. Also on the one in the back, and back of the head, you'll notice red dots, are those blood? Difficult to get off, but I don't see them moving either.

Good news is his feathers on his neck are growing back, before he would pull them out pretty quickly.

Oh yah, I checked the bottom of the birdcage, there's only maybe 3-4 feathers with those tiny little white things, seems to small to be dandruff..

Where's the rest of his feathers...

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,068
  • IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,036
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,340
Unless a vet recommended the ointment, I would seriously stop with the ointment... it's not good for his feathers and I see a lot of bronzing occurring on those feathers.

I'd honestly give him a bath with either baby soap or dish soap to try and get all the gunk off his feathers, then continue with fresh/pure water until his feathers return to normal....

I can't imagine he's keeping warm with all that stuff on and in his feathers and I'd be afraid of him ingesting it as well.

Welcome to the forum... :)

I can't help with your problem, but I'd like to say that your photos are amazing :D

Most Reactions

Back