air in crop?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
It feels like there is air in Danny Boys crop. It is not painfull and I cant feel a impaction. Its like when you are hand feeding and you top off too much and the crop fills to brim, but not hard. Ican palpate it and nothing fills wrong or hot. Just that half full ballon filling. He is eating some but not much. Happly eats junk food, its the heathy stuff that gets left behind.

He is beak grinding and happly talking ( yelling) at me. Other then this he fill and acts fine. He is no longer as ruffled after getting to take a couple showers ( after finding out I was not drowning him and it felt good) The only feathers that look rough are his tail feathers and I dont think the fat little turkey can reach those...

Well I found a vet only a hour and 15 min from me. I talked to him and HR wants to see him early next week but its not a ER vist for now. The nice thing is $45 office vist with $85 short or $150 long pannel. I am really hoping for just the short. I will ne eating beans for the rest of this month as it is....

I wonder if air in a crop feels like when we have gas?....it's probably very uncomfortable.
I've seen air in baby chicks crops but not a grown bird.
I would remove his dish for the rest of the night, just leave his water, and see if his crop drains by morning.
He might have an issue with his crop draining, or at the very least he's taking in too much air when eating....something just doesn't sound right
this is interesting, it never occurred to me that this can happen to an adult bird.
good luck and please let us know what happens!

this is interesting, it never occurred to me that this can happen to an adult bird.

I have been around birds for 25 years now and I ha e never seen anything like it. I will post if something changes or gets worse.

Some birds can inflate their crops. As long as they can also deflate them, you don't have to worry about it - as long as the bird is intentionally doing that. If they aren't, then the air may need to be removed by an a-vet and the cause of inflating crop figured out - if possible.

Here is a photo of a macaw that inflated her own crop, and you could very obviously tell when she did. Don't know if I have any photos of her with her crop inflated.

Chloe03.jpg

I have been around birds for 25 years now and I ha e never seen anything like it. I will post if something changes or gets worse.

yeah, I figured you knew what u were talking about....how is he today?

He is doing good. I had taken food away yesterday and rechecked this morning and its still full. He was also a angry fat green chicken and wanted his food NOW! When I gave him the morning mash I was told I was a "Bad Bird! " Luckily I have thick skin and will get over it. Nothing worse then a parrot on seed detox!

MonicaMc I did not know they could do it by choice. Thank you.

It's really weird... and I didn't know either, until I met that girl! She's supposedly a miligold, but she might be a catalina or other hybrid, too.

Considering Danny's health, it's still a good idea to get him to an a-vet when you can and perhaps find out if it's normal or not for him to do it. Definitely keep an eye on it!

Can't wait for more updates and photos of him! And shame on you for being a "bad bird!" :xmas_lol2

Danny goes to a vet Monday :D I am sure I will be a vary vary bad bird then.

It would be quite hilarious if he yelled at you saying "bird bird, bad bird" all the way home! LOL

Let us know how it goes!

Most Reactions

Back