Aggressive lovebird

Jul 13, 2024
Parrots
Lutino lovebird
New to this group , I have a lutino lovebird about a year and a half old . Is very aggressive . It has attacks me and bites and hold on . This is very painful and leaves bruises and scares me . She is not hand friendly and won’t even step up . She does engage with me in some positive ways . I owned to conures 40/years ago ( Patagonian & half moon ) both were hand tamed and never was bitten . Wonderful birds and loved the companionship . I am so upset that I am unable to have the same relationship with this bird . I got it at around 4 months old . I just need advice as I am at a loss how I can give his bird a wonderful life like I did my others .

This is normal due to Hormonal Changes, During the breeding season, hormonal changes can lead to increased aggression, especially in males who may become more aggressive. I have a few and will get back to loving my hands once the cycle is over.

Aren't all love birds aggressive? Lol just kidding.
The bird might still be nervous about you, especially if its only been a few months.
Currently, many birds are hormonal and that can make them aggressive. Especially love birds. Make sure you are covering them for 10-12 hours daily so they are sleeping enough, and make sure you aren't providing any stimulus for the hormones (Nests, petting anywhere besides head/feet, other birds, fatty foods, etc). Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back