African Meyer - change in color of chest feathers

Sweetie

Feb 6, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
African Meyers
Hi All - -I'm new to the forum. I have two African Meyer parrots. Rocky who is 10 and Sweetie who is 8. Sweetie's chest feathers color has changed from green to grey which I find totally odd. All his other feathers are the same and there has never been any color change to our older African Meyer. Any idea? See pictures. Thanks!

Sweetie's mom:greenyellow:

photo2.JPG[/ATTACH]

I've never heard of this happening with a Meyer's - I think a visit to the vet might be best to rule out any health issues for why this would happen.

Thanks. We have an appointment with the vet on the 18th but wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of this happening. Just strange to us that all his feathers except those on his chest look the same color as always and are in good condition. We've never seen him plucking any feathers either and his food has been the same for the entire time we've had him and his brother (Harrisons, bean cuisine, fruits and vegetables). Hopefully the vet can figure out what is going on. We will love him with grey feathers on his chest or green but it just seems so very odd.

Sweetie's mom:greenyellow:

Let us know what the vet says - it sure sounds peculiar!

So we went to the vets yesterday and he took some blood and a few feathers to look under the microscope. He said the feathers look normal under the microscope, there is no abnormal wear or stress bars. He sent the blood to a lab and called back this morning to say that his liver and other values are within the normal ranges. He advised to sprinkle some Prime vitamin and nutrient supplement powder on his food and see if that helps though he acknowledged we have him on a really good diet now with the Harrison's, bean cuisine, fruits and veggies that he's been on his entire life.

So basically we still have no clue on why his chest feathers have changed color from green to grey. I guess it's a relief to know they don't see anything wrong with his values but there is the fear of the unknown.

Sweetie's mom :greenyellow:

Thanks for keeping us posted on what the vet said and I am glad the checkup went well. Mabey it is just from getting older and just a quirk. The same as some people go gray in their 20's but the average person not till middle age or older. Just a thought:)

That is so bizarre! Sorry I can't offer any suggestions. I thought maybe it was just a moult or you mistaking his down feathers (grey) for his normal feathers. But he really is just grey!

Wow, please keep us updated. It probably is just a genetic quirk or something. Least it's easier to tell the two apart quickly now ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back