Advice

Pigeon_ag

Sep 5, 2024
Parrots
African grey called frankie but loves being called pigeon and has been in mu family for a while however due to circumstances I've had to take her on.
Due to family circumstances we have had to take in a 12 year old African grey she's lovely and we all in the house love her and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips about parrot owning.

go thru posts on this site and ask any question you may have.
You will find it here.

Thank for taking pigeon in!

12 is pretty young, you should have many years together.

Welcome and be welcomed. Thanks for stepping up and taking Pigeon in.

So aside from reading a lot of the threads in our African Grey sub forum, I STRONGLY suggest reading the entire thread titled "I Love AMazons" over on the Amazon sub-forum. It contains MANY things that are applicable to owning ANY type parrot, not just Amazons. Priceless info there, written by one of our most highly regarded members. Thanks 'Boats!

Hello. While I don't own an Amazon Grey, a general piece of advice is to go at the bird's pace. They are in a new environment and will probably hesitate to trust you. It could be weeks or months before they want to accept food from your hand, sit on you, etc.

This probably sounds like common sense, but people often think something is wrong if a bird is still cautious around them after a month or two. Don't be discouraged. I am glad that you could give the bird a new home!

Most Reactions

Back