Advice- Rope toy- worried- what to do now.

Sunflower89

Mar 25, 2024
Parrots
Indian RIngneck
Hi Everyone.

I was hoping for some advice. I had a rope toy in my IRN cage. She has chewed it a fair bit so the toy separated. It is no longer in her cage.

Is there anything I should be doing in case she has swallowed the rope? Not sure what to do now I dont see any indicators something is wrong.

If anyone can also share pictures so I can compare IRN droppings please.

Thanks

Quote Reply

Yipes. I avoid ropes... due to the same concerns, and also the risk of toes getting tangled...
The bird's probably fine. Keep a close look.

Let's see if some ringneck folks have thoughts...

I lost one of my birds due to rope ingestion.

It was a horrible passing.

If your bird starts passing only liquids get it to a vet immediately.
I think that was first symptom of a problem.
I thought it was egg bind took her to my CAV but took no x ray.
I don’t trust my CAV when it comes to diagnosis.

'yes stay clear of rope perches if you know your birb swallowed some rope take her to the vet.

Hi GaleriaGila

Thank you so much for your reply. I will look at everything in your post.

I have taken everything out of her cage. From all the information I read yesterday. I am very unsure now. Its also hard to find the information I need right now.

She has no signs of illness. I was trying to get some IRN poo charts to see what is normal but everything I find I cannot tell. I have attached the toy she chewed. That's in half and there were other parts chewed off too.

I always check toys too. I have no chemicals perfumes car fumes, certain heaters and pans, nail polish etc etc I am so careful with her. I have been looking for good toys here in Australia but I am not sure how to tell if they have zinc in them or whether the dyes are safe. I mean how do you know, they sell whatever they like.

Do you know if a vet can do anything to see if she has fibers in her and if she does apart from surgery can I get rid of them or is it to late.?

Attachments

• 20240820_200812.jpg
    20240820_200812.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
'yes stay clear of rope perches if you know your birb swallowed some rope take her to the vet.
Thank you for your reply. She chewed it so I am taking she has swallowed it. I have attached a photo to the post above. I am so worried.

I lost one of my birds due to rope ingestion.

It was a horrible passing.

If your bird starts passing only liquids get it to a vet immediately.
I think that was first symptom of a problem.
I thought it was egg bind took her to my CAV but took no x ray.
I don’t trust my CAV when it comes to diagnosis.
Hey Texsize

Thanks for the reply. She is passing all 3 parts its how they look I cant seem to find anything on. Well like clear pictures to indicate. I have some other things to read from the lady on the post above now.

I also attached a pic of the toy to the reply on hers. I love her and do not want to lose her and I am so careful . I cant believe I missed this.

I also read about the cages material. I can't find what my cages are made out of. Do you know how to tell if there is zinc in there toys. It seems they can sell anything over here.

I know the cheap bells are frequently made with zinc so stay away from them.

As far as the cage goes most are powder coated and safe. If the coating is chipping/flaking it’s time to replace

I think the rope that is safe is called sisal (not sure of spelling). Craft stores sell it.

When I go to pet stores I always check out the bird toys.
90% don’t pass my safety checks.

There is a silicone ball toy with a bell inside.
My birds love them but.
I have seen knock-off toys that look almost identical but are rubber and have a nasty chemical smell.

Most Reactions

Back