Advice required while Merlin is wearing a collar

MerlinLouRic

Aug 9, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Parrots
Merlin the brown-headed parrot
A little more than a month ago, we notice that Merlin was chewing his feathers. After looking for information on this forum, we went to the vet. That was absolutely the best move ever: the vet found an infection in his crop. So we left the vet with meds and a follow-up appointment. The infection is gone but Merlin has not stopped chewing his feathers. So we tried continuing one of the meds that sometimes help for this kind of issue. Unfortunately, Merlin has had enough and has become very nasty every time we try to give him his meds. After a consultation with the vet, we agreed to try the collar and gradually reduced the meds.

So now we are on day 3 with the collar and he is miserable! He is installed on the bottom of his cage as recommended by the vet. He is eating but nothing else. He is used to play with his toys with his paws and his beak but now his beak cannot reach his paws.

Anyone have any suggestion or experience to share to help Merlin play and enjoy the day?

Attachments

• IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2992.jpeg
    IMG_2992.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2993.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 7
I don’t know how bad his feather plucking was/is and I can’t tell from the pictures.
But.
I have only used a collar once on one of my Cockatiels due to surgery.

It’s just my opinion but unless the bird is mutilating herself and causing open wounds and bleeding I wouldn’t use a collar.

Sorry Wade, I disagree. I would leave the collar on, in order to break the now acquired habit of chewing feathers.

OP - I suggest some hanging toys, rather then the floor based ones I see in his cage. It would be easier for him to get to these types.

Sorry Wade, I disagree. I would leave the collar on, in order to break the now acquired habit of chewing feathers.

OP - I suggest some hanging toys, rather then the floor based ones I see in his cage. It would be easier for him to get to these types.
Well to each his own.
I think it may depend on the reasons for plucking in the first place.

We didn’t use a collar on Bella and she mostly recovered from plucking.

Before
IMG_1149.jpeg
After
IMG_1147.jpeg
If you lock up an alcoholic for 2 weeks with no booze he won’t drink alcohol.
But when you let him out he still has the same problem.

Most Reactions

Back