Advice on Next Steps

Lukes_mum

Sep 26, 2024
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I rescued our Amazon (from a "rescue/sanctuary" - reading the post about rescues just confirmed what i had thought). She 22 now, and we rescued her in 2016. The previous owner had had her since she was a chick. I use "she" because even the bird "identifies" as female (several independent animal communicators), but she was DNAd male. Vets have given the opinion that her behaviour is male. Her person had to give her up because he had a young family, they had been bitten, and she was confined to her cage.

Initially, we were on good terms. We keep her near us, there is always someone around for company. But she did not want to go in the cage at night, and we had a cat - i wasnt concerned that the cat would bother her, but i didnt want to be stupid either. As soon as i tried to get her to step up, she bit - lightly at first. I cant remember exactly what the trigger was several years ago, but the interaction resulted in a complete deterioration whereby she will attack me if she is out of her cage. I'm irrationally afraid of her now. The last time the nail and beak person came, she "got away" from her and i hid... so stupid and embarrassing too. The trust is broken and i am not sure how to regain it.

She bonded with my son, and according to her history, she preferred men. It seemed that once it tried to get her to do things, it seemed to make her more aggressive towards me. I'm not sure my son, an adult with autism, as much as he loves her, would be able to care for her properly if i could not, and i am now technically a senior.

My daughter also joined the household just before Covid and is not a bird person. So, she gets plenty of attention, but is confined to the cage. She is very young still, and it seems cruel to me to expect her to live like this for another 40 years.

I have been unsuccessful trying to find a behavioural person to come and assist. The animal communicators have said she is content the way it is, it is my own judgment that it is unfair for her to be confined.

That leaves me at a point where i am not sure what to do that would be best for her. I love her, but am concerned about the future and am trying to figure out what would be best for her. ironically, it feels like a repeat of what her original owner went through! But it seems like now would be a better time for her to find a new home where someone with some experience would be able to give her the attention and direction she needs, while she is still relatively young.

Some of just relaying the story helps solidify the situation a bit, but Si am looking for advice or ideas. I'm struggling here. I want what is best for her, and if that is remaining with us, some help with behaviour and similar.

It sounds to me like your amazon has chosen your son as his/her person.
Sooooo it may not be a case of broken trust but a shift in allegiance.

Amazons do tend to be one person birds.
I don’t know of any way to undo that.

My African Grey was very friendly with me when first brought home but chose my wife as her person.
I am lucky she sees me as runner up next favorite human.
I don’t get all the benefits of a bonded relationship but she is friendly with me.

Just give special treats to her when you can.

It sounds to me like your amazon has chosen your son as his/her person.
Sooooo it may not be a case of broken trust but a shift in allegiance.

Amazons do tend to be one person birds.
I don’t know of any way to undo that.

My African Grey was very friendly with me when first brought home but chose my wife as her person.
I am lucky she sees me as runner up next favorite human.
I don’t get all the benefits of a bonded relationship but she is friendly with me.

Just give special treats to her when you can.
We get along very well through the bars, it is just when she is out she will attack. That right now is no matter what. So, I'm not sure how to transition to allow her to be out and i dont see being in her cage forever is a kind future.

We get along very well through the bars, it is just when she is out she will attack. That right now is no matter what. So, I'm not sure how to transition to allow her to be out and i dont see being in her cage forever is a kind future.
Bingo my yellow nape is bonded to me and violent with everyone else. But he can’t fly.
He can jump/flap about 3 feet so as long as everyone keeps their distance it’s fairly safe.

The biggest problem is my wife.
He really hates her.

We have a schedule and Bingo is the bird with the 2nd highest out of cage time.
He has the morning time for 2/3 hours to do his choice of activities.
And a shorter time in the evening if my wife is in kitchen.
Then Bingo likes her cuz she is fixing food.

I guess I have been lucky that none of my birds have ever turned that hostile towards me.

When Bella our CAG was hormonal she would attack my head. Left scratches on my scalp but I never took it personally and tried to ignore it.

you are not irrationally afraid, it is very rational because those beaks hurt.

We got our Amazon when he was seven: cage bound, not hand tame, and no stepping up.

Now he is completely tamed.
He is such an easy bird that at dusk he is ready to be in his cage for private time.
He is bonded to my partner and I equally.
It is almost as if he thinks we are the same.

I wish I could tell you how or that we did something right but I am just not sure.
I do think we got lucky with his temperament.

And I also think that they are smart but in the end they have bird brains and we can actually convince them that what we want is what they want.

Step back and start from square one if you have to, all the info you really need is on this site for free.

At least you'll be able to tell the "chosen ones" what they are doing wrong...?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back