Adding to the flock for the first time

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Hi! Rico's life partner here :)
Rico has been home with us since February, and recently I've been thinking of getting another bird.
When I mentioned this on Facebook the rescue I'm a part of said they may know the perfect bird, a scarlet macaw.

The owner is devastated in having to make this choice, so I've been weaned to not have my hopes high. Which I'm not. I'm not "looking" to add to the flock, but I think we are ready.
I don't want to look. I hope the right bird will just end up here with us.

But my questions are when you added to the flock, did the other bird(s) react the way you expected? Was there fighting or jealousy?
What about in your current flocks?

I'm hoping this will be an added companion for Rico.
I'm deeply hoping he will stay bonded to me.
But for him to have a friend that understands him even better then I do is important. I've always wanted a flock, not a bird. I think birds are healthier in a flock. But I don't want a large flock. I think two large birds is my limit. Lol
I'm nervous about the idea of fighting. I'd hate to have to watch them hate each other.
Also, quarantine, is for how long?

Hi Jumpingtadpoles, I have a green cheek conure that I have considered getting a companion for as well. So far I am still undecided. I went to a breeder to look, changed my mind and ended up coming home with a canary, which is not the same kind of company you and I are talking about for our birds. You will find varying opinions and experiences concerning this matter. From what I have read, there is just never any way to tell how your bird may bond with another bird until you get them together. Others who have larger flocks and experience will soon give you more opinions and advice on the subject. Keep researching.
From what I have read, 30 days is the minimum agreed upon quarantine time.
What kind of bird is Rico?
Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Rico is a blue and gold macaw. I am very bonded to him, but he loves my youngest daughter, as well.
30 days isn't long! I can do that! Lol.
Rico was a rehome, and it's gone so amazingly, I'm not afraid to bring another rehome, home. Plus if he doesn't adjust well, the rescue is a wonderful resource for help.

I find that the more birds you have the easier the additions go, but that is not a reason to add, of course. It is going to depend on the birds themselves, and how you introduce them, etc. Research! I find that the best way to introduce birds is in neutral territory at meal time. Each bird gets his own plate on opposite sides of the room. Each day the plates are moved, say, 6 inches closer to one another. If at any time hostility breaks out you move away a couple of feet and stay at that distance for a few days and then begin again from that point. When the dishes are touching, things are most likely good, and you can start working more on together play time, etc. The reason I say this is because feeding is a flock activity. This will work best if done while YOU eat in the same room. You have to be really vigilant though of course.

Quarantine - I do 14 days, but I also do disease testing through Avian BioTech for about $25 per test. You get the results within a few days in your email box, and later in paper copy. I love this because even the strictest quarantine can miss illness. The reason for quarantine is that it gives any illness the chance to surface through the stress of the move, but the problem with that is that stress can mimic illness anyway, and some very ill birds will never show signs until hours or even minutes before their death. Keep in mind, quarantine, even with disease testing, is not a substitute for a visit to an Avian Vet! But many vet clinics use the same company for their tests, yet to test through a vet is much more costly. Also many vets do not consider blood work to be part of the routine "coming home" exam.

In the end I find that the success of an introduction has a LOT to do with the level of patience displayed by the owners. Are you willing to go months without having both birds out of their cages together? Even though they each need even MORE time than they would with you if they were the only bird in the house? When bringing a new bird home it is very important to give the "original" bird lots of attention.

30 days minimum for quarantine but 90 days is best as it gives things time to really come out if they are carrying stuff that is not just showing up in a blood test.

When I found Kalea and before my final decision was made to buy her, I asked Jody if it would be ok to bring another little birdie into the house. Jody had been an only bird for 17 years and I was worried how things would work out which is what held me back for a few years. this gave her time to know what was going on and not like I just walked into the house with an intruder.

Jody tolerates Kalea. I can have both on me at the same time but Kalea has learned to stay beak striking distance away from Jody. Kalea always wanted to play with Jody but that is not happening.

When Donovan was coming here I talked about him and asked them both if it was ok if he too came to join us. Again, Jody is a people bird and not interested in interacting with other birds. Kalea at first wanted to play with him but learned real quick that he hits out with his beak and that made her afraid of him for a long time. Think of Kalea as a delicate flower and Donovan the bull in a china shop. Donovan no longer strikes out as hard or as often and I can have them both on me at the same time when I am sitting but the levels they are at is key, especially for my safety.

If one is sitting on my shoulder or boobs a second cannot be there either, one has to be on a lap. They can both be on my lap at the same time. They seem to realize this arrangement and the only other problem I have to watch for is if one is moving around, usually Donovan, as Kalea will quickly pull tail feathers so those need to be protected and kept out of her reach.

Donovan and Jody cannot be together, both have too strong of personalities and Donovan is bigger.

I would recommend not getting a second bird until you have had Rico for at least a year. It takes a bird a good year to really get comfortable in a new home and he deserves that time with you before he has to start sharing you.

I second MacawLover's suggestion of waiting until Rico has become truly comfortable. As time goes on, we learn and learn about our birds and their quirks. I'm still learning about Avery, and I've had her for over a year now.

I recently added an IRN to my flock at the end of May, and I can say it has changed flock dynamics between my boyfriend, me, and Avery. I work to keep my birds socialized, but they have jealousy issues over one another. I can have them both out (with supervision), and they will entertain themselves perfectly fine. But as soon as I'm an available perch, it's a battle. I'm still working out the kinks, but it's gotten to the point where my birds have to ask permission to be on me, otherwise none of them can be. You'll never know how the birds will interact until they're together, unfortunately. And their relationship will take work if they don't immediately click.

Shiko (my IRN) was a clutch bully - he bullied his brothers for attention and he STILL does this to Avery (my GCC). I've worked hard in keeping their relationship positive, and now they're at the point where they can be less than a foot apart without fighting. But I've got a lifetime of working out the kinks, and that's something important to keep in mind. When you add a flock member, you add lots of work and dedication. You're now training, feeding, cleaning, and vetting for two birds. Each bird needs one on one time with you, too. It's a lot of work, but personally... I don't regret it at all. And because I love my birds, I never think twice about the extra effort. Of course my birds are small, so it will be much different with two macaws :) But I think once you're ready AND Rico is ready, that's the time to do it :)

I respectfully disagree. It has been my experience that adding a new addition while things are still "not quite settled" is easier on the birds than waiting until "the first born birdie" feels like he is and always will be the one-and-only bird in the house. Each owner knows their bird best, but I feel very strongly based on experience that waiting for a new bird to settle in deeper to being the only bird before adding a life companion for him only serves to deepen jealousy issues. I am not saying to run out and search for a second bird, but if one is needing you and you think it would be a good fit, waiting is not advised, at least in my opinion.

Edit:
I would like to also point out the importance of taking your time and doing a PROPER introduction like I described above. Rushing things AT ALL can lead to jealousy distrust, possesiveness, aggression, etc between the birds, even if they don't start out fighting right away. Take your time.

Last edited:
Rico was not an only bird at his old home. And I bring him to bird meetings with my local bird club regularly. He also is socialized with my best friends bird, a Senegal regularly. She comes over for sleep overs with him, and they seem to really enjoy each others company, chattering to each other.
I have been feeling like he misses another bird. He gets so excited when he sees other ones. And I don't know if he has ever actually befriended another macaw, but at the meetings he can hardly contain himself.
I think I will try and google for blogs and whatnot about adding to flocks. I would love to hear personal experiences. Good bad and ugly.

Then it sounds like Rico is ready! Now all that matters is having you feel ready. And I think research is great, but once again I can't emphasize enough how you'll never really know until you do it. When it happens, you simply find what works for you and your birds :)

You really can never be sure in advance, so make sure you have the time for two birds if one of them doesn't like the other, but sometimes it is literally just a matter of time. I have a lot of experience bringing new birds home both as fosters and permanently, and a lot depends on the introduction, and a lot depends on the birds. Flick was an evil monster of doom to all other birds until one day, Delta just walked up and started preening her! Suddenly Flick (who looked shocked) seems ok with almost ever other bird we have. It is like she remembered "Oh yeah, I have been with other birds before" She came from the same breeder as my Maxi's and had always hung out with them before they moved outside.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back