Adding another eclectus bad or good?

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Beeker: SI Eclectus,
Kianna: Grn Cheeked Conure
Hello all! I have a SI male eclectus, he's a little over a year old. My question is has anyone started out with one and got another in the opposite sex and how did that change your relationship with your first parrot? I'm very much aware that they could breed and I'm prepared for that, but what I'm worried about is losing my cuddly close relationship with my parrot. I would love some input from people who have gone through this experience! Thanks! :confused:

By giving your bird a mate, they may act aggressive towards you, that's a big possibility!!!! BUT my pair plus my friend's pairs of ekkies have been super friendly. Both the male and the female. Just be aware of the plucking issue that can start due to a female being around, or the female may start the plucking. But not always like that, but it is a possibility. I have a good relationship with both of my ekkies, didn't at first with the male JoJo as Gracie was the friendlier one. But I trained JoJo exclusively and got him to learn to step up in two days but the full trust didn't come until way later. Several years have passed now, he trusts me fully! Both my partner and I are able to hold either one of them without any issue.

Most Reactions

Back