Absolute no nos for your bird

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Just curious what some of your absolute no nos for your FID are?

Might be a good way to share some advice for novice owners or owners of new species.

For me, being a 9 mo rookie owner.

I never:

Let Perjo out the cage when I'm cooking, boiling pots or pans on the gas stove, too much risk for the slightest odds of it happening. Irreversible results the way I look at it.

Never leave doors unlocked when she's out of her cage. Not worth the risk that a door can be opened from the outside by accident.

I never scream at her, no matter how bad a thing she did, and she hasn't done a thing bad enough to earn a scream yet anyway.

I leave no chemicals outside the e the kitchen or basement.

Good advice. Thank u.
I never let sissy outside with her harness...attached to my wrist
I never go a day with out giving clean water, and I make sure to clean up any of her play stands of poop.
And I never ever leave the house or going to bed without telling sissy I love her and giving her a kiss.

I'm stupid haha I thought you meant bird training wise not keeping them safe.
No air fresheners
No bleach
No windows open
No fans
No dogs out while birds out
No kids near bird while I'm not there.

Last edited:
I'm a bad owner already based on these:p

Never let outside without a harness or cage.
Never let the birds and snakes out at the same time....
Never use chemicals around them. We actually use safe cleaners for the whole house. Only use bleach on the bathrooms.
Never use self cleaning oven.
Never turn ceiling fans on when birds are out.
Never let birds interact with other animals.
Never break quarantine.
Never kill the birds even when I want to strangle them....:rolleyes:

Chemicals have been mentioned, but let's break that down a bit more for things people may not always thing of as 'chemical' -

No scented candles period (no soy, no beeswax, nothing, nada)
No plug in air fresheners
No aerosol sprays around your bird of any sort (hairspray, cleaners, nonstick spray for cooking, etc)
No fabreeze
No air fresheners that you buy (there are safe smell good options)
No cookware that is not labeled PFOA / PTFE (i.e., no older Teflon pans and definitely none that have scratches)
No wearing perfumes / heavily scented lotions
Careful with cleaners - things like mop & glo floor cleaner is toxic

Other stuff...

No smoking (this is a huge debate, listing it, but I've been blasted for this one before, so go ahead)
No use of soldering iron or small welding type equipment
No painting / use of varnish
No anything that is a really offensive smell to you that gives you a headache
Careful with having burning anything on the stove - many a bird has been lost to smoke from smoke filled house from smoking burning on the stove (be it smoke or Teflon related)

I could probably go on and on... this is something we go over with adopters, especially new parrot homes and one of the big topics when we do the home visit (its a great education opportunity).

I use Fabreeze if I'm two rooms away, with no fans or AC or heat on at the time. Vet said that is more than reasonable enough use of it.

I use Fabreeze if I'm two rooms away, with no fans or AC or heat on at the time. Vet said that is more than reasonable enough use of it.

not looking to argue, but what happens to Fabreeze after it dries... when you vacuum... when you sweep... when you fluff pillows... it doesn't just disappear into nothingness...

Spray fabreeze on a cloth then smell it a couple days later or better yet, spray it on something smooth and slick, let it dry and couple days later, lick it... tell me there is no fabreeze residue left.

Just something to think about if your bird is on anything that you have ever sprayed fabreeze on.

Add -

Took me a while to find this, knew it had been posted by someone in facebook group...

This is the back of a bottle of Fabreze.

Last edited:
What a great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravo!

Great post!

I never let armando alone when he is out of the cage.
Never uso mosquitos spray.
And I keep him trimmed, too many windows to risk his neck.

I did a lot of no no's in the early days. I used strong scented candles in the room with Robin, cooked with teflon, didn't really take any special precautions. Robin just turned 22 this year. Although he was fine, I of course never do those things anymore.

I am very strict now about NEVER leaving the three (Robin, Raven, Griffin) all out of their cages together. Robin ALWAYS is in his cage with a towel over the top and me always in the room as long as Raven and Griffin (especially Griffin) are out. We will NOT have anymore accidents getting toenails bitten off!

Never go a day without fresh fruits and vegetables.
Never get into a routine with food.
Never skip cleaning the cage.
Never allow visitors to handle the bird.
Never blame the bird.

Absolute no no for Paco?
No feet and no killing my husband.

Never go a day without fresh fruits and vegetables.
Never get into a routine with food.
Never skip cleaning the cage.
Never allow visitors to handle the bird.
Never blame the bird.

Very worthy list to take away from this.

not looking to argue, but what happens to Fabreeze after it dries... when you vacuum... when you sweep... when you fluff pillows... it doesn't just disappear into nothingness...

Spray fabreeze on a cloth then smell it a couple days later or better yet, spray it on something smooth and slick, let it dry and couple days later, lick it... tell me there is no fabreeze residue left.

Just something to think about if your bird is on anything that you have ever sprayed fabreeze on.

Add -

Took me a while to find this, knew it had been posted by someone in facebook group...

This is the back of a bottle of Fabreze.

That's why I use it rooms away. Kitchen and dining room, I never allow Perjo in the kitchen, and only allow her in the dining room to be close enough to listen to me playing the keyboard for her.

Learning this parrot parenting as I go, but threads like this I'm very grateful for.

Thanks for the information everyone....I'm most definitely changing all my cookware now after what I've learned here and by doing my research on it.

Not just for the bird's sake but for my family's as well.

I never...
Wear perfume anymore
Have any air fresheners or candles
Have any teflon (bought cast iron when we got Early)
mop with anything but water now
Leave her caged longer than absolutely necessary
Let her uncaged when we aren't home
Let her go to sleep without telling her I love her

CherylCali

Never leave your house with out telling your parrot how long you are going to be and when they can expect you back. They understand that!

Never leave your house with out telling your parrot how long you are going to be and when they can expect you back. They understand that!
I actually tell her starting Saturday that tomorrow is Sunday and we're going to be gone a long time, or if my husband is gone I tell her dad's not home right now. I always tell her bye when I leave, but I will start telling her how long I'm going to be gone! Thanks!

CherylCali

I use cleaners and sprays but not in the bird's room. Cleaning their room I move them out. I only use water to clean their cages and I now hand wash their stainless steal bowls by hand only and use Dawn soap daily. No birds in the kitchen if any appliance other than the Keurig or microwave is in use. No going under the couch or furniture!!! Especially Venus! No roaming on the floor, no open doors. WHEN GRILLING WE GRILL AWAY FROM THE HOUSE TO KEEP THE SMOKE OUTSIDE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Back